Is the prohibition of Cannabis justified?

I believe it is not. It does not lower usage. It only criminalizes something that should be a personal choice. It prevents sick people from taking medicine. It wastes taxpayer dollars. It spreads misinformation about something that has been used recreationally, medicinally, industrially and nutritionally for millenia. Your opinions are welcome.

http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html

http://www.phoenixtears.ca/

http://www.cannabisculture.com/

http://norml.org/

Favorite Answer

Obviously prohibition does not work at all. You can not argue for prohibition by saying that people will end up addicted to drugs if they are not prohibited. Since the war on drugs started there have always been addicts. All you do by making drugs illegal is arrest a person for a victimless crime, they now have a criminal record making it more difficult for them to obtain a job, which forces them deeper into their addiction.

Prohibition does not stop usage. The only reason drugs are illegal is because it jacks the price up. Drugs demand large amounts of cash. When the DEA or local police seize drug money, they often get to keep it for their own budgets.

The government is instilling fear into people by telling them that if we don't enforce prohibition of drugs our kids and fellow citizens will all become addicted to drugs, which is false and can happen now, while the drugs are illegal. This allows the use of huge amounts of tax payers money battling the war on drugs, keeping many government agents employed.

No war on drugs, no budget, less money for courts, judges, prosecutors, police, FBI, DEA , jail staff, wardens, coast guard, and I'm sure many others would lose funding and jobs. This is why prohibition will always be here in some form unless there is a revolution. Not that I advocate that, but that's probably what it would take.

Drug use should be treated like alcohol use. Not outlawed, but treated like a social problem with treatment, not a criminal matter with jail.

And if you believe that your children do not have access to drugs because they are illegal, that is dangerously naive. You need to inform them why drugs are actually dangerous other than they are illegal, because your children have access to them whether you want to believe it or not.

Murder harms others. And if I want to jack myself full of meth until my teeth fall out and I die, I should have that right to do that. If you are going to do that, then you should be able to, or have a right to have a chance in recovery and not a jail cell and a criminal record that stays with you the rest of your life.

Ciggarets are legal, but by "placing it in the category of "the wrong thing to do with ones life" sets a precedent and has a clear message about the use of " that substance.

We do not need to be protected from ourselves by the government. Should fast food, salt, MSG, salt, cars, swimming, be illegal also because it is dangerous?

You are responsible for your actions. We do not need the government protecting us from ourselves. This infringes on the rights of others.

If you believe the government is here to baby you, you seriously misunderstand the intent of the founding fathers. Personal responsibility and freedom, not helplessness and a nanny government to control your life. If you want to live in the UK I think it is where they are banning knifes with sharp points, or Japan is doing the same thing, live there, don't ruin my country and freedoms.

Also, these are my personal feelings, logic, life experience, and general understanding of the government and past efforts on prohibition. In most academic circles you have to cite sources in text when you have a list of 50 sources, otherwise those sources are meaningless. I'm sure while all these studies that are referenced were done, drugs were also prohibited.

I believe about 50% of adults have used cannabis in their lifetime, (don't feel like looking it up). How well has prohibition worked? How can you argue that it works with such widespread use?

I'm not saying cannabis or any other drug should be socially acceptable or ok, but there is no way to argue that prohibition works.

Murder - who criminalized that? Using your logic, it should be a personal choice. It DOES lower usage, I can not believe you can state that with a straight face.

"It prevents sick people from taking medicine..."

They later die from complications as a result.

"It wastes tax payers dollars..."

Preventing my children from access to it, or at the very least, placing it in the category of "the wrong thing to do with ones life" sets a precedent and has a clear message about the use of mind altering substances. Not nearly a waste, more like an investment in their future.

"It spreads misinformation about something that has been used recreational, medicinally, industrially and nutritionally for Millenium.

With age comes wisdom. As a society grows it gains information and intelligence. I clearly so the negative aspects of it growing, not getting smaller.

There are just some things that are wrong, just plain common sense.

Source(s): * From the 2005 Monitoring the Future Survey, funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, and conducted annually by the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research. The survey has tracked 12th-graders’ illicit drug use and related attitudes since 1975; in 1991, 8th- and 10th-graders were added to the study. The latest data are online at www.drugabuse.gov. * Herkenham M, Lynn A, Little MD, Johnson MR, et al. Cannabinoid receptor localization in the brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 87(5):1932–1936, 1990. * Rodriguez de Fonseca F, et al. Activation of cortocotropin-releasing factor in the limbic system during cannabinoid withdrawal. Science 276(5321):2050–2054, 1997. * Diana M, Melis M, Muntoni AL, et al. Mesolimbic dopaminergic decline after cannabinoid withdrawal. Proc Natl Acad Sci 95(17):10269–10273, 1998. * Mittleman MA, Lewis RA, Maclure M, et al. Triggering myocardial infarction by marijuana. Circulation 103(23):2805–2809, 2001. * Polen MR, Sidney S, Tekawa IS, et al. Health care use by frequent marijuana smokers who do not smoke tobacco. West J Med 158(6):596–601, 1993. * Tashkin DP. Pulmonary complications of smoked substance abuse. West J Med 152(5):525–530, 1990. * Zhang ZF, Morgenstern H, Spitz MR, et al. Marijuana use and increased risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 8(12):1071–1078, 1999. * Sridhar KS, Raub WA, Weatherby, NL Jr., et al. Possible role of marijuana smoking as a carcinogen in the development of lung cancer at a young age. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 26(3):285–288, 1994. * Hoffman D, Brunnemann KD, Gori GB, et al. On the carcinogenicity of marijuana smoke. In: VC Runeckles, ed, Recent Advances in Phytochemistry. New York. Plenum, 1975. * Cohen S. Adverse effects of marijuana: Selected issues. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 362:119–124, 1981. * Adams IB, Martin BR: Cannabis: pharmacology and toxicology in animals and humans. Addiction 91(11):1585–1614, 1996. * Friedman H, Newton C, Klein TW. Microbial infections, immunomodulation, and drugs of abuse. Clin Microbiol Rev 16(2):209–219, 2003. * Zhu LX, Sharma M, Stolina S, et al. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits antitumor immunity by a CB2 receptormediated, cytokine-dependent pathway. J Immunology 165(1):373–380, 2000. * Brook JS, Rosen Z, Brook DW. The effect of early marijuana use on later anxiety and depressive symptoms. NYS Psychologist 35–39, January 2001. * Brook JS, Cohen P, Brook DW. Longitudinal study of co-occurring psychiatric disorders and substance use. J Acad Child and Adolescent Psych 37(3):322–330, 1998. * Pope HG, Yurgelun-Todd D. The residual cognitive effects of heavy marijuana use in college students. JAMA 275(7):521–527, 1996. * Block RI, Ghoneim MM. Effects of chronic marijuana use on human cognition. Psychopharmacology 100(1–2):219–228, 1993. * Lynskey M, Hall W. The effects of adolescent cannabis use on educational attainment: A review. Addiction 95(11):1621–1630, 2000. * Kandel DB, Davies M. High school students who use crack and other drugs. Arch Gen Psychiatry 53(1):71–80, 1996. 23 Rob M, Reynolds I, Finlayson PF. Adolescent marijuana use: Risk *factors and implications. Aust NZ J Psychiatry 24(1):45–56, 1990. * Brook JS, Balka EB, Whiteman M. The risks for late adolescence early adolescent marijuana use. Am J Public Health 89(10):1549–1554, 1999.

Yes. Its a drug. If you knew as many people as I do who became potheads, then meth addicts or cokeheads, you would feel the same way. Go to an NA meeting and listen to all the people there whose lives were ruined by an addiction to pot. For some people, maybe they can smoke a lil now and then and lead productive, even professional lifes ( I know some who do and I'm sure its quite common), but I have children, and the thought of them growing up in a world where pot is legal.....no thankyou. Just my two cents.

Source(s): Raised in a family of potheads.

I've never smoke pot recreational but I know some people who are functional "pot" smokers that you would never know smoked it on a daily basis but I also know people that this was there gateway to other stronger drugs. So I personally believe it's all in a person's biology. Some people are apt to be addicted to one thing or another and others aren't.

Source(s): personal experience.

No it is not.

The US war on drugs has become an employment program for local, state & federal law enforcement, correctional and judicial employees.

To abolish the war on drugs would mean over a million

government employees would lose their jobs.