Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesHonda · 1 decade ago

Does my 2004 Honda Civic have a bad throttle postioning sensor?

I have a 2004 Honda Civic. I have recently just purchased it. It seems once its warmed up it has a hesitatis

It seems to happen around 2000 rpm. The only time it does it is about 1/4 throttle. The only way to make it come out of it is to push the accelerator more. Now when it does this if I push the clutch in, while staying at 1/4 throttle the RPMs drop to 1000 and then it will rev back up my foot still at 1/4 throttle. Thanks.

Best Answer

Maybe, but it wouldn't depend on engine temperature. It's easy enough to check. Bridge the contacts of the TPS with an ohm-meter (check the wiring diagram first) and sweep the throttle from shut to WOT. It should be a smooth change in resistance. Any jumps or skips and it's toast.

Your problem is likely elsewhere, though. Without more info (rpm, throttle position, duration of hesitation, mileage, what else you've checked) I can't give you any specific advice, but check all the basics. Worst case, take it in and have it gone over by a pro. It'll cost a bit, but at least it'll be fixed. And by "pro" I mean a reputable shop with late model experience, maybe even the dealer. You don't need a hack messing around under the hood. It's worth the extra dough not to get shafted.

The o2 sensor is the vehicles way of managing fuel. As it heats up the voltage changes, as it cools it changes again. The computer sees this as a voltage change above and below .5 volts. The faster it changes the more active it is and the better it is working. A scanner with a live data screen can be used to observe o2 sensor operation and confirm it is or is not performing correctly. A stuck open CTS= coolant temp sensor will not allow the computer to go into a closed status and will effect o2 operation. So yes other tests can be performed to evaluate the vehicles condition. Note, a stuck O2 sensor can lead to converter failure and high costs to replace. The check engine light is initiated to warn you of a pending failure, the longer you wait to resolve the issue the greater the chance of further damage.