Is it illegal to sell counterfit goods?

Is it illegal to sell "designer" inspired goods? I'm more or less referring to electronics. What if the customers knew they were fake? As well, is it illegal to BUY counterfeit goods knowing that they are? Mostly wondering about USA and Canada. Oh, and are they reporting agencies if it is illegal? Other than law enforcement?

Ed, that doesn't answer my question.

Favorite Answer

Designer inspired goods are usually fine. Generally, the test is whether there will be brand confusion - there is a difference between designer inspired and counterfeit. Counterfeiters actually represent the product *as* being made by the designer; those who make designer inspired goods do not.

You can report to the company who holds the trademark on the product.

Depends, counterfeit or knock offs. This is a good question. If you ever go to New York they sell so many fake Coach, and Chanel Bags. So I am not sure about this. I would guess that it is ok as long as you do not pose them as the real thing, I go to NY to shop yearly and I always see people selling knock off Ray Ban shades, and other things. I guess you could call the local PD and ask.

Yes it is. You can also be liable to the owner of the design for civil damages. The place to report it in the USA is to your Secretary of State.

Vancouver Police have made several arrests at flea markets . you can report to Crime Stoppers And get a reward