kL asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

my 5 yr old german shepherd keeps on scratching? help...?

she has been diagnosed for skin allergies but already finished but still keeps on scratching??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I had a GSD that suffered from allergies, you need to discover what she is allergic too, so try the following:

Signs of allergies include chewing at skin, licking, rubbing up, scooting(rubbing bottom along the ground), chewing/licking at feet, chronic ear irritation, chronic watery eyes & sneezing. We can divide skin allergies into 5 general areas:

1) Flea Allergies- usually chewing/scratching around tail base or around neck, but can be itchy anywhere. It takes only 1 flea to cause an allergy, which is why some dogs that have very few fleas can be itchier than a dog with many fleas that isn't allergic. Often seasonal (Spring/Summer), but can be all year round.

2) Food Allergies- often will be itchy around the face, ears and feet, although can be itchy all over. Most common allergens include wheat products (found in most canned and dry foods), beef, and to a lesser degree chicken. Allergies will occur all year round.

3) Contact Allergies- are quite uncommon, and usually affect areas with no or little fur cover eg. abdomen and feet. Allergens include grasses, plants, clothing/carpet fibres and many others. Often seasonal, but can be all year.

4) Inhaled Allergies- are quite common, and affect all areas ie. skin, feet, ears, face, eye, nose etc.. Most common are grass pollens, plant pollens, dust mites, and moulds (found normally in most environments). Often seasonal, but can be all year.

5)Allergies to the normal bacteria found on the skin- called Staph. These often show slightly different signs to other allergies- need a vet to confirm. Often all year round.

All allergies can cause itchiness anywhere, so it is impossible to tell just on appearances which allergen is causing the problem. Many dogs are allergic to several.

TREATMENT There are 2 main options when trying to deal with allergies:-.

1 Discovering the Cause- two allergies can be eliminated easily are flea & food.

* a) If fleas are present, it is worthwhile trying to eliminate them first.

* b) If food allergy is suspected, trial dog on low allergy food diet, must be done for 8 weeks, The diet consists of:- Meat that the dog hasn't had before eg. fish, kangaroo, rabbit, - 30% of the meal. Rice- boiled -. 50% of meal. Vegetables -. 20% of meal.

After 8 weeks there should be improvement, if not an allergy test is next.

This is a test for inhaled allergens, and tests plants, grasses, trees, dust mites and moulds. Done by blood samples. - if all of the above has been performed to no avail, then a contact allergy, or inhaled allergen not included in the allergy test is most likely. try change of bedding, send dog to a relatives place for 3-4 weeks.

2 Other medications -

* (a) Ant-histamines-. these work better with evening primrose oil (1-4 capsules in food) antihistamines to try include:- Phenergan, Periactin, Polaramine, Teldane Contact your vet for dosage, determined by weight.

* (b) Anti-allergy shampoos and conditioners- There are many that help, eg. tea tree preparations, eucalyptus rinses, Quit Itch Lotion & Malaseb

• 1 decade ago

It still sounds like allergies. I worked in a vet clinic and german shepherds have problems with allergies. Allergies are a funny thing. They can come and go so there must be something else that he allergic to. Did you recently move or add something new to your house? Did you take him for a walk in a place you don't usually go? It depends on where his scratching is because it could be an ear infection or a skin infection. Look under the hair where he scratches and see if has a weird smell or look to it. I would probably take him to the vet again. If he scratches to much he can cause a secondary infection on his skin from the bacteria from his nails. Good luck I hope this help. You can also try giving a human dosage or benedryl to see if that helps but call the vet before doing so, so you can check on dosage. Have a good one!

• 1 decade ago

You need enzymes. Try www.nzymes.com Also check my website to see what I feed. I'm founder of Kimmelot German Shepherds.

Dog store food is really yuck..... see the video on my website about healthy foods and the bad stuff that's in pet store dog food.

Source(s): 35 years breeding, highly recommended, world class quality.
  • 1 decade ago

YES WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT IS FINISHED, IT NEEDS MEDICATION AGAIN THIS WILL GET INFECTION IF IT KEEPS SCRATCHING .WHICH WILL BE WORSE GET THE POOR DOG MORE MEDICATION , OR ARE YOU TREATING IT MONTHLY FOR FLEAS AS WITH SPOT ON OR SIMILIER YOU JUST PUT IT ON ITS NECK

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

hi your dog dose it have flees or ticks call a vet and it will be a little bit better to answer but im answering beacause my cat has the same problem

• 1 decade ago

What do you mean "already finished"? Its a dog.... what do you want it to do??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.