Do people really eat tanuki?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • sdfh s
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, people eat tanuki udon, though I prefer kitsune myself. If you think that's strange, you should try kappa-maki. But because kappa are an endangered species, some sushi shops don't admit to selling it. If you want it, you should lean over really close to the chef & whisper your order in his ear. And it helps if you secretly pass him an extra 1000yen or so.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because raccoon dog is not cultivated but just hunting game in limited official hunting season, the supply is scarcely limited. Most of Japanese never eat tanuki but rabit or sort of fake instead actually.

In addition, tanuki soba or tanuki udon is just name only. It doesn't contain any tanuki meat or tanuki extract. It is soba or udon with topping something non-animal products deep-fried that old people long time ago once had thought it as if tasted like tanuki or much better.

Raccoon dog meat has heavy animal smell urinal. This modern society of Japan people prefer beef, pork and/or chicken much more to wild animal meat. They don't need to eat tanuki anymore.

• 4 years ago

If you want to eat truly healthy, lose body fat consistently, normalize your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, prevent cancer, and even boost your brain health and energy levels, you may have heard all over the news that the Paleo Diet has been found to be one of the best methods of achieving all of these benefits compared to any other popular "fad" diets out there. Go here https://biturl.im/aUA4V

The truth is that the Paleo Diet will never be considered a fad because it's just simply the way that humans evolved to eat over approximately 2 million years. And eating in a similar fashion to our ancestors has been proven time and time again to offer amazing health benefits, including prevention of most diseases of civilization such as cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, and other chronic conditions that are mostly caused by poor diet and lifestyle. One of the biggest misunderstandings about the Paleo Diet is that it's a meat-eating diet, or a super low-carb diet. This is not true

• 4 years ago

Tanuki Udon Recipe

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You realize there are a lot food that are considered illegal to eat in Japan, so while it may say "tanuki" it can be another animal.

People substitute all the time in recipes. My husband is 23 year old Japanese native and he has never ate tanuki a day in his life. While he has ate whale, shark, alligator, and many other things most American or westerners haven't eaten... but he's never ate a raccoon dog.

Source(s): Married a Japanese
  • Robyn
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I've never heard of such a thing - although I don't suggest it's never existed, if not now then in the dim and distant past, but for the lunatic who wrote that recipe to use the word OFTEN to suggest Japanese people eat such things regularly is hysterically funny in it's stupidity.

• 1 decade ago

Yeah, every noodle shop or izakaya keep tanuki. When you come to Japan you can't avoid them. But I and my friends have never eaten them because they were made by clay. Regretful.

Actually, hunting wild animals is prohibited. Probably, a governor of prefecture doesn't permit hunting raccoon dogs for eating. Hunting boars or deer may be permitted because they harm agriculture.

However, Japanese government is slaughtering countless wild animals, birds, fishes and salamanders.

The ministry of land and LDP (Aso's party) want to construct useless roads and dams. Dams will kill countless salamanders, fishes and birds. Useless roads take dwellings away from animals. (Have you seen the Miyazaki’s anime Ponpoko?) Countless raccoon dogs and foxes are hit by car everyday.

• 1 decade ago

tanuki udon na

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes they do-----

As you can read on the website it is part of their culture and we should respect it as they do to ours.......

Good luck!

*Rock*

• 1 decade ago

yes! it is so delicious but so pity for animals.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.