FunkyGurl asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What kind of accent do people from Alabama have?

I work in customer service on the phone and had to speak to some people in Birmingham, Alabama and I couldnt for the life of me get what they were saying! I was embarassed cuz I had to tell them...pardon?? sorry?? what was that?? like 10 times...god...! Im Canadian btw...and yes I might have an accent to Americans but I think its not insanely difficult to understand...

well the woman on the phone understood everything i said perfectly...and no one has ever had trouble understanding me...ppl from birmingham suck!

Favorite Answer

People from Alabama have southern accents.

Well they probably didn't understand you either. I live in Birmingham and we have an accent like most people but it's not a "southern accent" because everyone in the south don't have the same accent. And if you can't understand what people are saying in other regions than maybe you should find another job. I know it's plenty of people in customer service that I can't understand when I call for help. So it goes both ways.

yeah, I lived in Alabama for awhile...Sometimes those folks are kinda hard to decipher, haha. I live in Minnesota now and I will say this, a lot of Canadians shouldn't be pointing fingers when it comes to funny accents, haha.

By the way, since you're Canadian I want to point out that I cannot for the life of me understand why Canadians look down on the Newfie accent. That is one of the most appealing accents in North America.

Southern.

southern, thick, heavy and soothing

You Canadians ( and many others ) sound "funny" to us and are equally hard to understand.

Many times, I have told someone " slow down, I can't hear that fast".

People "fom" "up north" park their ca in the diwway. plow snrow from the wark way, eat shmrip, and choodea, and drink pop, where as a southerner parrks the carr in the drivveway, plows the snnowww from the wallk way, eats shrimmp, guzzles coke and eats soupp-------------and you wonder if they will EVER get to the point of the story!

Hound dawg

Bumpkin!!

Have you ever heard the scottish???!!! IT DOESN'T EVEN SOUND LIKE THEY SPEAK ENGLISH, THEY DON'T EVEN FINISH THEIR WORDS, WA (WHAT) BA (BUT) ETC