What happens if three AFC teams are tied for the WC?
If the Buffalo Bills, Indianapolis Colts, and Baltimore Ravens were tied for the two AFC WCs, what would happen?
Also, can two NFL WCs be from the same division?
- GaryELv 61 decade agoFavorite Answer
Yes there can be two wildcards from the same division.
The tie breaking procedures are very verbose so I have just copied the part relevant to answer your question. For the complete procedures see the link in the source box below.
TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.
Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss
- Dan TLv 41 decade ago
Okay so the bills won't tie for the wildcard. The AFC playoffs will be as follows and in no particular order
end of story. The AFC east has too many games against each other for the WC to come out of there and the Colts and Steelers will be able to lock it up. The Colts will win out on the season except for a tough game against the Titans that they may win, the Ravens will win out except for this week against th Steelers which they may just win as well.
- mcveyLv 44 years ago
while there's a tie for the final 2 or 3 seeds, do no longer quote me in this, yet i think of it is going to the two scoring factors or differential, and at one factor i think of it became who ever had the main first downs. Oh and that i for my section quite quite doubt that yet another group will bypass undefeated any time quickly, no longer to show 2, or maybe 3.The NFL is in simple terms too confusing to achieve this.
- 1 decade ago
First of all yes two WC"s can be from the smae division.
Second in a three way tie they look at head to head to decide the winners.If it is still a tie then they look at interconference play.If it is still a tie then they go to score of games to decide it.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
There is a tie breaker set in place just for that sort of thing.
And yes, i think two teams can be from the same division.