what are some other jobs related to the special education/education K-5 field?

I've had a few jobs with kids ranging in age from 4 to 13. all special needs. from tutoring to camp counseling. I absolutely love it and it seems to be the only thing im good at in life.

Im a high school senior from NJ and I was thinking about going to college to become a special ed. teacher. if im not mistaken you get certified in blocks. and I want to go to college maybe to teach grades K-5-ish.

My only issue is that teachers don't make very much money. if im paying money to go to college and bothering to get a degree I don't want to end up 'barely making ends meet' in the future. I mean what's the point of a college education if your not even living comfortably....

so what other jobs are similar to this? like special ed/education type jobs...that i could I try to go to college for or do that would maybe pay a bit more so I can be very finantially stable and be able to have a family...etc someday

what should I be going to college for? (please don't use too much college lingo because I don't really understand all the college terms and degrees)

any other advice?

Favorite Answer

Consider a career in Speech-Language Pathology. There is a major shortage in the US for SLPs. You can work in schools, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, home health care, etc... You have to get a Master's degree but it is definitely worth it.

Check out the following link:

http://www.asha.org/students/professions/overview/

Speech-Language Pathology

Nature of the Work

Working with the full range of human communication and its disorders, speech-language pathologists:

Evaluate and diagnose speech, language, cognitive-communication and swallowing disorders.

Treat speech, language, cognitive-communication and swallowing disorders in individuals of all ages, from infants to the elderly.

In addition, speech-language pathologists may:

Teach in college and university programs.

Manage agencies, clinics, organizations, or private practices.

Engage in research to enhance knowledge about human communication processes.

Supervise and direct public school or clinical programs.

Develop new methods and products to evaluate and treat speech-language disorders.

Speech-language pathologists often work as part of a team, which may include teachers, physicians, audiologists, psychologists, social workers, rehabilitation counselors and others. Corporate speech-language pathologists also work with employees to improve communication with their customers.

Work Sites

The practice and work of speech-language pathologists may take place in various settings:

Public and private schools

Hospitals

Rehabilitation centers

Short-term and long-term nursing care facilities

Community clinics

Colleges and universities

Private practice offices

State and local health departments

State and federal government agencies

Home health agencies (home care)

Adult day care centers

Centers for persons with developmental disabilities

Research laboratories

Entry Requirements

To enter this career, one must have a sincere interest in helping people, an above average intellectual aptitude, and the sensitivity, personal warmth, and perspective to be able to interact with the person who has a communication problem. Scientific aptitude, patience, emotional stability, tolerance, and persistence are necessary, as well as resourcefulness and imagination. Other essential traits include a commitment to work cooperatively with others and the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.

During high school, prospective speech-language pathologists should consider a program with courses in biology, physics, social sciences, English and mathematics, as well as in public speaking, language and psychology. On the undergraduate level, a strong liberal arts focus is recommended, with course work in linguistics, phonetics, anatomy, psychology, human development, biology, physiology, mathematics, physical science, social/behavorial sciences and semantics. A program of study in communication sciences and disorders is available at the undergraduate level.

The work of a speech-language pathologists is further enhanced by graduate education, which is mandated for certification by the Council For Clinical Certification (CFCC) of ASHA. Speech-language pathologists and audiologists who possess a graduate degree are eligible to apply for certification which involves the completion of a graduate degree, a supervised Clinical Fellowship (CF), and a passing score on a national examination. Additionally, the individual must acquire the requisite knowledge and skills mandated by certification standards while enrolled in a program accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA). In some areas, such as college teaching, research, and private practice, a Ph.D. degree is desirable. In most states, speech-language pathologists and audiologists also must comply with state regulatory (licensure) standards to practice and/or have state education certification. The requirements for licensure or teacher certification are very similar or identical to ASHA's CCC requirements.

Working Conditions

Because there is such a wide variety of employment settings, working conditions also vary. Facilities in most school systems and established clinics are comfortable and adequately equipped, as are most facilities for research, colleges, and private practice. Since speech and hearing services are a vital part of total health care and the educational system, the number of work sites is constantly expanding. Because of the increasing demand for these services, work schedules may be heavy. An additional challenge is the constant need to update knowledge through educational experiences and reading periodicals. These challenges are balanced by the satisfaction of contributing to the quality of life of adults and children through facilitating the vital need of persons to communicate effectively.

Size of the Profession

The American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) represents over 130,000 professionals. There are over 110,000 ASHA-certified speech language pathologists. More than 59% of certified speech-language pathologists work in educational facilities, 35% are employed in health care facilities and more than 13% are employed in nonresidential health care facilities including home health, private practice offices and speech and hearing centers. Also, there are over 1,200 persons who hold dual ASHA certification. That is, they are certified as both audiologists and speech-language pathologists. These individuals hold many major positions in clinical, academic, and research fields.

Future Outlook

Speech-language pathology is expected to grow faster than average through the year 2014. Members of the baby boom generation are now entering middle age, when the possibility of neurological disorders and associated speech, language, swallowing, and hearing impairments increases. Medical advances are also improving the survival rate of premature infants and trauma and stroke victims, who then need assessment and possible treatment. Many States now require that all newborns be screened for hearing loss and receive appropriate early intervention services.

Employment in educational services will increase along with growth in elementary and secondary school enrollments, including enrollment of special education students. Federal law guarantees special education and related services to all eligible children with disabilities. Greater awareness of the importance of early identification and diagnosis of speech, language, swallowing, and hearing disorders will also increase employment.

The number of speech-language pathologists in private practice will rise due to the increasing use of contract services by hospitals, schools, and nursing care facilities. In addition to job openings stemming from employment growth, a number of openings for speech-language pathologists will arise from the need to replace those who leave the occupation.

Source(s): http://www.asha.org/public/slp.htm I am a Speech-Language Pathologist; MA CCC-SLP

Teaching has some benefits beyond just money. If it is deeply satisfying to you, that is a benefit right there. The other benefits are having holidays off with your children, being in an environment that you enjoy and the pay isn't that bad. The time off is priceless.

You have to get certified in elementary ed and then special ed. Life skills is a wonderful class to teach, especially in middle and high school. The children are mildly mentally retarded and at those levels, you are readying them for work and a decent social life.

If behavior doesn't bother you, then become a behavior analyst. Go to the BACB website and see the opportunities. This pays a lot!

Your life is something that you need to think about now, but remember, you will probably have more than one career in your lifetime. I have been a State Park Ranger, A special education teacher and now a behavior analyst. If you plan on getting married and having kids, a career in education is great. Time with you kids is precious beyond belief.

One thing that you might want to do is decide the kind of environment you want to be in all day long, eight hours a day. Then see what professions are done in that kind of environment. If you hate being cooped up in an office, why be an accountant? You get my drift. Where do you want to spend a great deal of time? I love being in schools because of the vibrance and spirit in that environment. I really love kids and I love good teachers. I like spending my time there.

Source(s): Teacher, Behavior Analyst

RE:

Im a high school senior from NJ and I was thinking about going to college to become a special ed....

Source(s): jobs related special education education 5 field: https://trimurl.im/d6/what-are-some-other-jobs-rel...

I am not going to try and tell you what to do, but I would like to tell you this.

Money is something that everyone needs to survive in this world. And there alot of things that you could do to make a descent living and working with special education students, like counseling, speech therapist, or working for a district as someone who tests special needs children.

But, to me you sound like you would make a great special ed. teacher. I am a Special ed. student. And I was lucky enough to have some really wonderful teachers. Ones that it was obvious that they could have done more, in terms of having higher ranking jobs and pay. But I am glad that they became teachers. Because if it wasn't for them, I would have never made it this far. A honor role student, who is thinking of becoming a doctor. So my suggestion to you is really think about this, and more of what you want out of life and how you want to help kids, and then you can think about the money.

This may not make much sense, because money is important, but in my opion it's more important to help a child, one that could maybe someday use someone like you as a teacher.

I hope this helps.

Source(s): Special Ed. Student.

A reality of modern relationships is the knowledge that divorce statistics have been steadily escalating in recent years. Tips for avoiding divorce https://tr.im/HmQrj

Even now, all marriages have between a 40 and 50 percent chance of divorce, which increases for second and third marriages, which is why it's more important than ever to have the necessary skills to ensure your relationship is secure against the threat of divorce.

• Mary

Teachers were I live do pretty well. There is a need. They have a state retirement. The teachers union is strong.