Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

Does the United States Postal Service ever have "snow days", days they don't deliver because of weather?

For example, if schools are shut down due to the snow in the area, then would the USPS ever shut down, too? I would expect them not to deliver under extreme circumstances, say during a hurricane warning or a state of emergency, but would something like snowdrifts keep them doing their job?

And I know that "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" isn't the postal services motto, it's just an inscription on a plaque in the General Post Office in New York, so I know it wouldn't necessarily apply

• Favorite Answer

Yes, I live in Laramie, WY and when all roads in and out of town are closed, the mail cannot make it here. So when that happens we do not get mail. (Typically 3-5 times per winter.)

Source(s): Life experience

I live in ohio and there have been a couple of times due to road conditions that they have not delivered. I believe their motto is

neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail can ever stop the US Mail

There have been plenty of times the mailman drives through the neighborhood, sees that most of the houses are not dug out, and doesn't stop. I guess that's a snow day for him.

I'm sure they don't deliver during heavy storms, the kind when stores are closed.

If there is a level 3 weather emergency i don't think they do, only emergency vehicals are allowed on the streets.

we had a blizzard recently here in bartlesville oklahoma and the mail didnt come for three days!!!! so a few feet of snow is my guess.