What is stopping weed from being legal?

Yes I am a pothead, but I think we have learned a lot about drugs since we first started the war on drugs.

I want to be a functioning pothead and fix what needs to be changed so I can smoke legally.

Favorite Answer

think about simple economics...

cops bust little guys & make a killing, allow the main dealer to stay free & there is a never-ending supply of cash flow, weed, profit to make for the "judicial system" & prisons.

Besides anything that is allowed to be called "legal" has to be regulated by the FDA (meaning the government controls what gets put in the drug & how it is distributed - through medical facilities that are government regulated, and where do they earn these degrees to become a dr.? at government regulated & funded schools...

not to mention that the "legal" drugs are produced to cause specific reactions that require you to purchase another drug, the whole time feeding the government & their minions, it really is that simple & it really is this way.

oh, & don't forget the taxation that goes on the whole process, from school expenses to the actual drugs the government allows you to have access to.

Well I think it's pretty much been answered but I have to disagree with whoever said something about image. The "typical drinker" has a way worse image the the "typical stoner". To me the stoner is just a chill guy that really is doing no wrong to anyone else. The typical drinker is some white trash alcoholic that beats his wife and drives drunk. Don't get me wrong, I drink every once in a while but I stay inside with some friends I trust and we just hangout. I think alcohol is way worse than ganja and if either should be illegal, is should be alcohol. I mean, liver damage...ugh. Then when you drink you feel invincible the when you decide to drive home drunk from the party some guy just took advantage of you at you feel the need to speed and then you crash when you start to see double. With pot if you decide have to drive (which is doubt full) you go way slow and sure, you get distracted easy but now a day's what with our car t.v's and iPod and cell phones and whatever...who doesn't? Plus, you'd most likely be going slower than average anyways.

IMO the reason weed is not legal is because our government is stupid. It can not see the money that can be made from legalizing it. Plus the fact it would help the courts stop being over crowed with people in for charges of poss. and poss of paraphernalia and clear out our jail for those in with felony amounts. They do not see this.

The best way to get it changed is to get people to sign a petition and/or write to your local branch of congress and list the reasons for legalizing it. Write an essay about it. It has to be done state by state and will be a long drug out process that will possibly get you no where. But it is worth trying and I commend you for your attempts should you try. People should be free to smoke where ever and when ever they want to.

Edit - and for the uneducated dumbass who said obamas the reason its not legal. You are prehaps the stupidest person I've ever encountered. The president has no say it in. Congress makes the choices. Thats why some things are legal in some states and not in others. And they would make money because they could say only certain people could grow it and putting it in stores would make it alot easier to get then having to find a dealer and then getting said dealer to trust you. Even if everybody grew there own, there are plenty of people who would buy it in a store or where ever. And to whoever said weed causes alot of car accidents I want to see proof. Beer and Liquor cause more car accidents every year than anything else in the drug/alcohol catagory. If anything weed smokers drive the normal speed limit because there paranoid there going to get caught by the cops. :|

Weed would replace over 20% of the nations current drugs on the market. Costing the DEA millions of dollars. Also the major colleges and research facilities aren't being granted permission to undertake the research needed to legalize it.

-Legalize it, Don't criticize it.

And all your other DUMBASSES there has never been a death due to the smoking of marijuana.

Due to connabanoids found in the smoke of marijuana it is proven to actually help the fight against tumors.

ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT b4 U POST IT!

Source(s): Research

It saddens me to read this. What makes it illegal are the dangerous effects it has on the individuals and infants.

You try working at a hospital, similar to where I work, where I must deal on a daily basis of parents who cannot support their child because they are too hyped up on pot (both financially, psychologically, and physically). I also have to work on new born infants who's cries are more of a shrill that would run shivers down most people's backs and shake from the withdrawals. These kids have so much physical and mental setbacks that its sad. These setbacks not only put strains on the family, but also on the schools, teachers, and society. Many of the pot-head parents and I've seen many of those kids have issues with the law and are a strain on the various forms of social-services. And guess who has to pay for all of this? Those of us who are responsible enough to stay away from this crap and try to raise our own children so that they are not a burden to others and society.

So do me a favor and get off your ego-centric high horse, get yourself clean, and stop being a burden. If you can't do that, then do all of society a favor and never reproduce.

first of all what is a functioning pothead and second i dont really care if they legalize pot or not being as i dont smoke it..the reason they probably wont legalize it is too many people against it and the politicians have to keep the people who make their pockets fat happy

Follow the money, always follow the money.

-It would be possible, but more difficult, to tax a weed.

-Who is getting paid by the illegality? Cops, DEA, judges, doctors, the list goes on.

-Do you think any of our politicians are receiving contributions from drug dealers?

To Joel R: care to restate your argument for whiskey?

EDIT to boomfiziks: Your comments do not ring true. Marijuana is not addictive and the symptoms you describe are more correlated to meth or harder drug users, not pot. Part of the Reefer Madness in this country is lack of information. Alcohol causes more death, family instability and harm than 10 years of pot smoking. Pot will be legal - the only question is how much more damage are our politicians willing to subjects us to milking the last few bucks out of prohibition?

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with marijuana ; the government makes it illegal because of "Classes".

First they said it would make you crazy back in the mid 50's, now there saying it's a gateway drug.

Marijuana is the best gift for mankind not only to smoke and relax but for other uses such as rope and clothes...Way safer than alcohol and much better

Think about all the poor DEA agents who will lose their jobs if weed is made legal and all the corner street drug dealers who's business will be taken over by Walmart

• well the category that weed is in even though doesn't cause the same damage as the other drugs in that category it gets the bad rep from that beer is worse than weed no i don't do weed. weed isn't addicting weed doesn't kill you like cigs do really the only reason i see weed being illegal is that of the category of drug that it is in what you can do to smoke it legally A) move too anarbor B) get a terminal illness and get it medically that one doesn't sound to fun