Atheists and non-Christians/Catholics/LDS, would you seek to amend or support these national anthems?

Atheists and non-Christians/Catholics/LDS, would you seek to amend or support these national anthems with reference to the Judeao-Christian God?

Star Spangled Banner

"Praise the Power that has made and preserved us as a nation.

. . . And this be our motto: "In God is our trust";

O Canada

"True patriot love in all thy sons command. . . God keep our land glorious and free!"

God Save The Queen

God save our gracious Queen,

Long live our noble Queen,

God save The Queen.

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us:

God save The Queen.

O Lord our God, arise,

Scatter our enemies,

And make them fall;

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks;

On thee our hopes we fix:

God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store

On her be pleased to pour,

Long may she reign.

May she defend our laws,

And ever give us cause

To sing with heart and voice,

God save The Queen.

Not in this land alone,

But be God's mercies known,

From shore to shore!

Lord make the nations see,

That men should brothers be,

And form one family,

The wide world over.

From every latent foe,

From the assassins blow,

God save the Queen!

O'er her thine arm extend,

For Britain's sake defend,

Our mother, prince, and friend,

God save the Queen!

**the non-Christians/non-Catholics/non-LDS

grammar / clarification

The Devil's Reject,

I have included in the same category, notice the "non" encompassing this group. The question note share the some similar beliefs, which is why they are excluded from the anthem question.

And there is disagreement between Protestants and Catholics, and LDS, as to whether LDS are Christians. But that is for them to argue.

Favorite Answer

I'm not in England or Canada so I have no right to tell them what to sing. We normally only sing the first verse of our National Anthem. I didn't even realize that part was there. Actually I think "America the Beautiful" would be more appropriate since it talks about the whole country and doesn't refer to just one battle in the War of 1812.

Personally, I am not at all bothered by the words to a song, or a phrase on our legal tender. I'm sure that's the unpopular opinion, but there is so much worse going on in this world that I just cannot get worked into a frenzy over something that I view as insignificant.

• kesner

reason i'm bored. and that i'm no longer travelling the religion and spirituality section, i'm travelling the Society and lifestyle section. It only so takes position that the R&S falls below that, alongside with a number of different categories.

God should be removed from all government. It leads people to wanting holy war. Just look at America? They get attacked, the conservatives beat the war drum, a couple say Jesus said to do it.. and bam.. we kill hundreds of thousands of innocent people.. and then expect a thank you. Instead, America gets a shoe. How ungrateful.

In the USA we did. It is called My Country 'Tis of Thee. It too needs to be rewritten.

Happy 2009 Common Era

Well I'm not English or Canadian, and as far as the American national anthem, I'm not in situations where I need to sing it. They are only words and like any other words, they only have as much meaning as the individual decides to give them.