i have a question about football ?

hey im trying to learn more about football so that when i am watching it with my friends i understand it better. I would really like to be able to talk to people about football and stuff because my boyfriend and his family are obsessed with it any suggestions or anything would be highly appreciated o and by the way im 16

Update:

o and by the way i go for auburn

7 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The least you need to know is that each team is trying to get to the other end of the field to score a touchdown, in the opponent's end zone. To get there, they need to to move the ball by either running it or passing it downfield. If that sounds too easy, there's a catch: The team with the ball gets four plays, called downs, to move the ball 10 yards at a time. If they get more than 10 yards, they get a fresh set of downs. If they don't, they'll usually kick the ball to the other team and let their defense try to keep the other team from advancing.

Touchdowns are worth 6 points, and they give the scoring team the opportunity to add an extra point, either by kicking the ball through the goalpost (1 point) or by running the ball back into the end zone (2 points).

Sometimes on 4th down, a team will attempt a field goal rather than kick the ball to the opponent. A successful shot at the goalpost is worth 3 points.

Teams can also have a safety scored *against* them, worth 2 points for the other team, if they cause the ball to go dead in their own end zone or if they commit a penalty in their own end zone while in possession of the ball.

There's a lot to know, but those are the basics. You'll love the game even more, the more you watch it and learn about it.

Here's some more good info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The playing field is 100 yards long. Each end zone is 10 yards long. The sidelines are 50 yards apart. For a player to remain active, he must not go out of bounds. The object of the game is to get into the opponent's end zone and score the most points. A player may get 6 points by running the ball into end zone. The team than has the option of going for the point after, 1 point by kicking the ball between the uprights, or 2 points by running the ball into the end zone. If the team feels they can't get into the end zone but want to get some points, they can go for the field goal, 3 points, by kicking the ball between the uprights. The team can also punt the ball to the other team, no points, changing possession. If an offensive player is tackled in the end zone, the opposing team scores 2 points. Each team gets four downs, chances, to move 10 yards.

Source(s): wiki
  • 1 decade ago

You get six points for a touchdown and an extra point if you make the free kick after each touchdown. You also get three points if you make a field goal.Each team gets 3 time-outs.

• 1 decade ago

play madden seriously it work for me lol. at 1st when u play u dont know wat u doing but u will understand the game better and it took me about a week or two to understand everything. seriously it work.. well for me it did and now i play it all the time and im obsess with football GO EAGLES!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

what i did was watch it with some one who is rele good at football. ask them questions and soon u will be a football pro =]

• 1 decade ago

go to the library and check books out about football??

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

idk

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.