Can you detect leukemia early? If so, how?

Favorite Answer

It depends on what kind of leukemia you are referring to and what you mean by “early.” Usually when it is said to catch cancer early, it means early in the stage of the disease implying a much better chance for cure. Although leukemia can often be diagnosed early in the disease it does not always have the same implications as in other kinds of cancer. Some types of leukemia are diagnosed but not treated until the patient’s symptoms warrant it, which could be in over a year’s time. Other types will progress through its course regardless of what we do or when it was diagnosed.

Source(s): I am a cancer registrar.

Hello,

My experience with this comes from the fact that I am a two-time leukemia survivor. Normally, in order to validate a leukemia diagnosis, a doctor will run a CBC Blood test. This is a Cell Blood Count which counts the red& white blood cells and also the platelets. Im sure by now you know what Leukemia is. (Overproduction of the white blood cells which are signaled by other blood cells to fight off viruses and disease/infection. Generally, there will be symptoms that a person might go through which will lead to a doctor doing a CBC. If the doctors are on there"A" game they can catch it early on by paying very close attention to the symptoms. For me, I was bleeding internally and then hemmoraging before they finally decided to listen to my parents about it NOT being an "upper respritory Infection". My opinion is, MAKE them do a blood test if you feel like you ever have any symptoms of any cancer but Dont worry yourself until you get some results.

Source(s): Two-Time Leukemia survivor I research everything I Possibly can, Im a nerd LOL.

My sister was diagnosed with AML in late Oct. She had been having bone pain in her feet, knees and hips for almost a year. She even had surgery on her knee in April. In Oct., she had flu symptoms for 2 weeks, and went to the doctor 2 different times. They told her she would just have to let it play out. Finally one night she couldn't breath so her husband took her to the emergency room, within hours a different doctor came in and said "You have Leukemia".I have to wonder how long she has it already. We grew up in the nations "Down Winder" area in the early 60's, but miss the cut off date by a few months. Leukemia sucks!

Usually it isn't detected until some physical problem causes a person to go to the doctor. But if you got a Complete Blood Count every two months, I guess you would detect signs of a problem before you started seeing physical symptoms.

Yes go to the doctor. It's probably gonna be a blood test.

Go to the doctor and get checked.

yes you can...you need to see your doctor and they will arrange a blood test to check for abnormalities...if they find something suspicious they will run further tests..

GO TO THE DOCTOR

You have to have blood work done.you feel weak and very very tired

GO TO THE DOCTOR.