petey asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 1 decade ago

Why did G.W. Bush choose to go to Mexico first instead of Canada ?

Bush broke the tradition of US presidents visiting Canada first, was it bc of Chretien belittling him ??

no. it didn't hgurt my feelings, just curious why he broke tradition....he isn't welcome here anyways

• SteveN
    Favorite Answer

Since Canada is the largest trading partner with the USA, it was logical that the presidents would come here first to acknowledge that and to try to establish good relations with the neighbours to the north.

But I remember that it was not just the fact that he did not come to Canada first, but that he also disliked Chretien, and he made a perceived slight to Canada a few months later by not including us in his speech when thanking all of the countries that assisted USA during the Sept-11 attacks. More recently, he got our current prime minister's attention by saying "Yo Harper! Over here" at the G8 summit, which may be okay for calling over your buddy at a barbecue, but is not exactly dignified for beckoning a foreign leader.

But looking back on his bungled quotes over the eight years and some of his actions, I guess I'm not surprised. He probably figured with all the illegal aliens from Mexico working in Texas, he'd better honor their government for sending him all the cheap labor force.

Bush spent most of his life, before he became president, living in Texas, which is next door to Mexico. He is more familiar with Mexico than he is with Canada. It didn't surprise me when he chose to go to Mexico for his first foreign trip as president.

I would imagine because there are more Mexican-Americans eligible to vote than Canadian-Americans, so President Bush gave more attention to the bigger potential voting bloc.

being from texas he thought Mexico was the only foreign country

Because tacos rule.

• Ed P

Not many Taco joints here LOL

Did he hurt your feelings but not coming to Canada first? Poor baby.