Can't start my windstar?

I have a 1995 Ford Windstar. The starter was replaced 6 months ago. I just replaced the black (negative) battery cable because the previous one was worn out and was not sending enough juice to turn the motor.

A few times I had lights but no start. I would find that the negative cable was too short to properly connect to the battery. After connecting the cable, I was able to start the car. I bought a new cable that was the proper length and had it installed at a repair shop.

The car started right up with no problem.

Right after the cable was replaced, I drove for about four blocks and parked.

The next day, I couldn't get a start. It was as if the negative cable wasn't connected again.--But it was obviously making good contact.

I tried to get a jump with no results.

All of the lights work.

I hear a click from the starter.

Still there is no response from the engine.

Could it be the starter?

Favorite Answer

Starter solenoid is not making contact.It is part of a starter,so replace same.

the clicking you are hearing is not from the starter itself, but from the starting relay. the relay clicks so that way you know its working.

but since the car does not start, but you do hear the relay clicking, so it is the starter that does need to be replaced.

to really see if it is the starter, find the starter itself, find a very light hammer and carefully tap the starter housing, the bigger portion at least. and if it starts to crank then the starter does need to be replaced.

Source(s): personal experience 3 starters in the same car within a year

what u'd do buy a starter from a pull a parts lol yeah its the starter

Check the battery!

change the starter or bad ground