I am looking for opinions about the Insulin Pump. My husband is thinking of switching to it.?

Favorite Answer

I've been using a CSII (Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion) system ... or pump ... since December 1998.

I can honestly say that the only way they're going to get it back from me is by prizing it from my dead or dying hands.

I'm totally enthralled with my pump (actually, it's the third one I've had now), and it's offered me so much freedom and a sense of reliability that it's getting difficult to remember how bad my control was before switching.

I'm not sure which country you're in, but if you're somewhere that has to pay for diabetes supplies, or has insurance to take care of it, do check it out as it's not just the cost of the pump that's expensive, but the ongoing set changes and reservoirs etc. that are needed. (You change the infusion set every 3 or 4 days, so it's like having one injection every 3 or 4 days, rather than having multiple injections each and every day.)

Some pumps (mine's a Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm) can be paired up with a continuous glucose monitoring system (CGMS). This, too, would need to be changed every few days ... and is another expense. (These changes are VERY expensive. In the UK, for instance, they cost £56 each time. I don't know whether insurance would cover the cost, so you'll need to check that out.)

1

Source(s): Reverse Diabetes Without Drugs - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?YkDA

If your insurance will cover it and your husband is willing to test often then he should totally get one. In order for a pump to really work well and be safe, you have to test often. I currently test 10+ times a day. My insurance company pays for 100% of my infusion sets which would cost about $400 or more out of pocket if I didn't have insurance. Check with your insurance right away to see what they will cover.

I have been on an Animas pump for over half a year (just upgraded to the Ping model) and I will never go back to shots. In fact, I have not had to give myself a shot with a syringe since last July. I can eat when and what I want and I have more freedom than I did before. My last A1C was 5.8 which is so good I can't stand it!

Check out this comparison chart on pumps. Your hubby should pick on that has the features he wants and thinks he will need. Have him talk to a diabetes educator at his doc's office as well as have him talk to pump reps with any questions he may have. I looked at 2 pumps before I decided and the reps from the competing companies were great about answering my questions. Many of the reps are diabetic too so they understand it is a big deal to get a pump.

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/ins...

• Noccie

A pump is waaaaay better than the shots. You can get tighter control and no more painful insulin shots! Takes a few weeks to get it tuned up to your personal needs, but it's worth it!

Diabetes is usually treated through a combination of diet (low sugar), exercise and medications/insulin. Read here https://tr.im/KfVg2

Milder cases can be controlled with just diet an/or exercise while more severe cases require meds or insulin as well.

Hello,

Diabetes is a chronic disease and I don't think you can reverse it. That said I read this interesting book http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=549

that gave me a lot of useful tips about my disease and also a different perspective on the best therapeutical approach. I think you should read it too.

Good Bye