Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What does this mean in the book of 1 Corinthians?

Whoever calls Jesus accursed is not talking by the Holy Spirit.

Favorite Answer

The Holy Spirit & the Spirit of Christ are both one & the same Spirit...

Jesus is God.

Jesus told his disciples: They would be sent another comforter... then in his next breath he tells them, I will not leave you alone, I will come to you... he explains that he would reveal himself to his disciples & would make his abode with them...

He continued to abide with those who had the Holy Spirit, just as he had in the flesh... only in this form, he was in his glory, rather than in flesh.

Acts 1:2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:

Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Ephesians 4:4-6 4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Jesus is God. God is a Spirit:

John 4:23-24 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

In the flesh he was limited... he grew tired, hungry, weak, & died...

Jesus said the Spirit gives life, but the flesh profits nothing.

In the flesh he had limited authority, & to those who ask of him as being the Son according to the flesh, rather than God he has limited authority...

Jesus taught even his own disciples in Proverbs... because even they did not believe what the scriptures said about him:

John 16:23-32 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:

27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

29 His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.

30 Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that thou camest forth from God.

31 Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe?

32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

The disciples didn't understand Jesus was God until after he was raised from the dead & their understandings were opened to the scriptures about him. He spoke to them as the Son of God, but wanted to relate to them as God in the glory in which he had before the world was.

Jesus is God… & as God has all authority… yet as a human, he also spoke as a human… especially to those who saw him as human... there are many examples of this.

As a human he suffered & died & it was said that whoever was hung on a tree was accursed... yet Jesus was God & was greater than the flesh or the curse.

Whoever has the Holy Spirit understands who Jesus really is, for Jesus teaches them & they realize these things.

Source(s): Sorry so complex. Hope it helps somewhat. God kept his promises to the Apostles. Unless you know that Jesus was every bit as much with the Apostles through the Holy Spirit as he was by the flesh... you are not yet fully born of the Holy Spirit. & the same promise he made about abiding with the Apostles he has made to all who believe on him by their words. Acts 2

Read it in modern English:

1Cr 12:3 So I want you to know how to discern what is truly from God: No one speaking by the Spirit of God can curse Jesus, and no one is able to say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

Read it in 16th Century old English:

1Cr 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and [that] no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Source(s): Holy Bible NLT & KJV

Paul said: “Therefore I would have you [former devotees of idols] know that nobody when speaking by God’s spirit says: ‘Jesus is accursed!’ and nobody can say: ‘Jesus is Lord!’ except by holy spirit.” (1 Cor. 12:2, 3)

• Dust

Paul was giving the Corinthians a simple litmus test to use when evaluating the message of someone who claimed to be speaking by the Spirit of God.

It means exactly what it says - the Holy Spirit confirmed Jesus with many signs and wonders, but if anybody denies Jesus, they are obviously NOT of God, whether it is a muslem, atheist, or buddhist - God does not demean Jesus to anything less than Son of God.

It means the devil made them say it. But it also said that if you say, "Jesus is LORD!" you are speaking by the Holy Spirit.

What they are saying is not coming from God. It is coming from satan.

Forgive the guy before me for getting excited and thinking you are dumb. It is a good question