What does y= mx+ b stand for? plse help?

What does y= mx+ b stand for? plse help

34 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

y: y-value in point (x, y)

m: slope (rise over run, which means points up/down from one point to the next within the line DIVIDED BY points right/left from one point to the next within the line)

x: x-value in point (x, y)

b: y-intercept (where the line crosses the y-axis, which runs up and down)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Slope intercept formula. lets say the formula was y=2x+1. B is the y intercept (what x is when it's at 0) so in this case b would equal 1 (0,1). m is what you would multiply x by (also called the coefficent)when trying to figure out a coordinate point. For example if x=1 you would find y by multiplying 1 by 2 (y=mx part) and adding 1 (+b or y intercept part). So y=3 so the point would be (1,3). F.S.S. or formula, substitution, solution also goes along with this. You already have the formula, so let's say x=3

y=2x+1 formula

y=2(3)+1 substitution

y= 7

• Maggie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It's the equation of a line.

Y = y point

m = now much you move your point. Like, 1/2 would be one over 2 down (or slope)

X= x point

b = Y intercept

Source(s): pre calc....
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it is used to an x and y corridate on a slope/

m stands for the angle of slope

x is the x coordinate

b is the point for the y coordinate where the x coordinate is 0

y is of couse the y coordinate

such as y = 5x +2, where x = 3. SO when the equaction tell us that y = 5(3) + 2 meaning y = 17

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Omg we did this in school just last week. :]

I know that mx is the slope and b is the y-intercept. I think.. Woops Ms.Gracin (AKA Ms.Grossin.. I know, us kids are childish) will not be happy that I'm forgetting so fast.. haha

• cen
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Er, well, in mathematics, it's the formula for a straight line. m equals the slope of the line and b is equal to the value of the y-intercept. I don't know about in computing, however. How are you trying to apply this formula?

What program are you trying to use? Knowing that would help.

• 5 years ago

The letters M and B are representative of values and could be just about anything. They are a algebriac expression which represents angles. In your formula the X plane is horizontal and the Y plane is vertical. Because you are using the ordered pairs X and Y I assume that you are working with planes. Consider Y=2X+5 The bar on the plane changes the M/B value as it is moved. X and Y are constants and M and B are variables.

• 1 decade ago

It's Slope Intercept Form. It's used in graphing equations and such

• 1 decade ago

Mathematical Equation. Y (Slope) =M(rise) x (run)+ B(Y-Intercept) Starting point on a coordinate graph.

Thats what it means if youre plotting this on A graph. This equation is in slope intercept form

Source(s): This is what were doing in Algebra :]
  • 1 decade ago

its the slope intercept form

b is where it crosses the y axis

and

m is the slope

5 would be 5/1 which is 5 to the left and one up

2/3 would be 2 to the left and 3 up ect.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's an algebra formula called slope intercept form.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.