Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How can i remove swirl marks in my car paint?

I have a nice car but I'm rather young and nobody told me how to properly take care of the car, I know how to now but unforunately I am stuck with swirl marks in the paint and I would like to have them removed.

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    The best and safest way to remove the swirl marks is to pay a professional car detail-er,one that comes highly recommended through local public chit chat,im sure you will find a good one who will effectively remove the marks......good luck

  • 1 decade ago

    There is a product that 3M makes that's called Finesse IT that is made to take out swirl marks. You can by it at any major paint store that sell auto paint. I use it all the time polishing out show cars and classic restoration jobs and paint jobs. It is a polish that you use with a special polishing pad. If you have buffing experience read the instructions on the bottle and buy a foam waffle pad that you need to purchase separately. Apply enough polish to buff an area one foot by one foot. Keep the pad flat at all times and use a medium speed on the flat surfaces and slow speed on the edges. Wet the pad down and squeeze the water out then start buffing it helps with the heat build up. Let the buffer sling out as much water as possible. Use medium pressure on the buffer then when the polish is about dry use the weight of the buffer to finish the area. If you still see swirl mark repeat the process.

    And for those people telling this person to cut and buff. Why would you need to use a cutting polish. All your are doing is creating more work for yourself. He already has swirl marks why would he want to create more. DUH!!!

    Source(s): 20 years in the paint and body industry
  • 5 years ago

    Swirl marks are made by a buffer. You can try buffing it more with some compound however be carefull that you dont go too deep because you can damage the paint job. The swirl marks may have been done by someone who didnt know what they were doing and already ruined the paint job. Need a cheap paint job go to macco or earl sheib.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You will have to re-polish your car, get some polishing compound, find a swirl mark, and start polishing by hand aacording to the instructions on the product, if it does dissapear, great, it's just work, get a it, a bit at a time and it will end up shiny and nice.

    Be sure you have enough paint left though, if the swirls are too deep they might not dissapear, you mau be seein primer through the paint.

    Good luck

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • EDDie
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    I would recommend taking your car to a reputable auto detailing place (or auto body shop) for an exterior detail that will take out the swirls and bring back a beautiful shine to your car.

    Source(s): Fancy Auto - Marketplace where people buy and sell new and used auto parts & auto accessories // auctions ~ stores ~ wanted ads ~ discussion forums
  • 1 decade ago

    get yourself a high speed(rev) buffer, fine rubbing compound and wax. Just follow the instructions on the buffer or rubbing compound or wax. this will cost you more than paying a car detailer. A car detailer can do a better job and it's cheaper. Save you lots of time and elbow grease.

  • 1 decade ago

    if the swirl marks aren't too deep you can polish them out with a liquid cut and polish by hand or polishing buff.

    If they are a bit deeper use a cream cutting polish but be careful because you can easily polish right though the paint.

    but don't cut and polish metalic paint

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.