book "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld question?

What is the key issue that is happening in the novel book"Uglies"?

Explain the situation.Is this a realistic issue?How can you relate to this issue on the world around you?

Best Answer

In Uglies, Tally's world is centred around what the vast majority is in favour of - being labelled as "pretty", which is based solely around physical appearance rather than one's internal self. Due to the enormous popularity and the expectations of the community as a whole, it is basically accepted that the clearly superior and only option is to turn pretty upon reaching the appropriate age and succumb to the resulting peer pressure, and go down the "easy" path. In addition, to become pretty, Tally had to compare her values to mediocre desires and choose between what means most to her - her friendship with Shay, or becoming pretty, and then again at the smoke, when her friendships stretched out to include David. The ongoing teenage issue!

More or less, the concept of turning pretty encapsulates the general occurrence of losing yourself, and fitting into an image and a life which robs you of all individuality, and, as the ending reveals, your right to freedom and personal choice. The key issue is that Tally wants to go down this route, unaware of the hidden deception that exists behind the operation, and trade in her uniqueness and sense of self for a stereotyped life without difference or variation, basically what has been cut out for her and not be who she truly wants to be.

The world we live in is like this in a way. Certain appearances, ways of life, careers, and most importantly, our ideals etc. are shaped by what the media and the rest of the world thinks, with emphasis on what we think makes a person "good-looking" or a day "fun". Notably also, our generation is referred to as the "Rusties", with lifestyles they consider to be asking for trouble!

Hoped this helped. It was a really good book, I'm waiting on the next one to come in stock at the local library :)

The key issue that happen in Uglies was that Tally had to choose. Did she want to keep her best friend and stay ugly? Or did she want to turn in her best friend and become pretty? That was totally what was going on in Tally's world in the story. Because after Shay, Tally's best friend, ran away to the smoke. Tally was took to Special Circumstances. Where they had her make the choice. At first, she didn't know what she was going to do. I mean, come on! What would you do? You waited all that time to turn sixteen, and be pretty and have a good time in New Pretty Town, when all of a sudden it all gets pulled away from you? I could totally feel for Tally and I understand her choice.

Yes, I do believe that this is a very realistic issue. Especially for teens. Because teenagers have a lot of choices and some of them deal with friends. So yes, I do believe it and that it could connect with the person that reads it. It also could be something like the person maybe give into peer pressure and other kind of stuff like that. And also Tally needed to believe in herself, which she didn't. Shay believe in herself and could do anything which she set her mind to it.

I hope this helped xD

It really was a great book. And I totally recommened it to anyone. It has a really true meaning in between the lines that I think every teenage girl she read.

Tally is betraying Shay by infiltrating the smoke so she can be pretty.

the metaphore of it is realistic; selling out values for shallow desires enforced by the media. Tally is also a coward, while Shay is strong with belief in herself. The issue is losing yourself to conformity and influence of the media.