What to feed our cat that was missing for 6wks, worried about "Fatty Liver Disease".?

My cat, Bandit went missing 6 weeks ago and we just found him 2 nights ago. He was very emaciated and the first thing we thought of was to get food into him. Based on what we looked up on the internet, we knew we had to feed him small amounts of food every few hours. We were afraid of constipating him, so we... show more My cat, Bandit went missing 6 weeks ago and we just found him 2 nights ago. He was very emaciated and the first thing we thought of was to get food into him. Based on what we looked up on the internet, we knew we had to feed him small amounts of food every few hours. We were afraid of constipating him, so we gave him canned food, which we believe gave him diaherria, so we stopped that & are currently giving him Kitten Chow. We called our Vet who warned us about "Fatty Liver Disease" which can occur when a cat hasn't eaten for over a week & has lost a lot of weight (Bandit looks to have lost at least 4-5 lbs). Feeding him fatty foods could cause this disease. Any help? I saw alot of advice on older cats who refuse to eat which led to Fatty Liver Disease, but nothing about rehabilitating a missing cat.
Thanks for any help anyone can give us. I'm just to glad to have Bandit back, I don't want to kill him with love!! Bandit is a 5 yr. old male, Maine Coone Cat. Anything else I should look out for?? Thanks,
Cindy
Update: I gave Bandit some cooked chicken we had, cut it up real small and he loved it. So far, no more diarrhea. I think I'm going to stick with fresh cooked chicken and rice. I just want to make him better and I'm so happy he's home. I was so sure a fox had gotten him. I do have an appt. with our Vet... show more I gave Bandit some cooked chicken we had, cut it up real small and he loved it. So far, no more diarrhea. I think I'm going to stick with fresh cooked chicken and rice. I just want to make him better and I'm so happy he's home. I was so sure a fox had gotten him. I do have an appt. with our Vet next week to have him looked over and de-wormed. Thanks for all your great answers and comments. This is a "first" time for me doing this. I think its great. There are so many of you that care.