Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

Mom wont let me dye hair because of leukemia?

My mom wont let me dye my hair because of the fact that she used to have leukemia - and its in our blood... so shes saying that I cant dye my hair because I might get Leukemia. Yeah, I KNOW!

but why do i NEED to dye my hair?

BECAUSE I HAVE A LOT OF WHITE HAIR (genetics)

and im only 14!

it's so embarassing and annoying! D:

How do i convince my mom that I can dye my hairrrr?!?!?

Favorite Answer

Tough one. I think the link between leukemia and dying your hair is pretty weak but your Mum is desperate to protect you. Try to get her to make an appointment with a doctor to find out exactly what the risk factors are for leukemia. Don't link it to the hair thing or she may not go ahead with it. Just say you have been thinking about it and and you really want to know. While you are with talking to the doctor, with your Mum there, ask if dying your hair is a risk factor. If he/she says "no" which I think is probably the case then your Mum has no reason to stop you doing it. If the doctor says yes, then your mother was right and it isn't worth it.

Leukemia is cancer that starts in the tissue that forms blood. Although researchers have studied the many cellular changes associated with leukemia, it is unknown why these changes occur. It is likely that certain risk factors are involved. Many factors (e.g., age, genetics) are unmodifiable (beyond control). Other factors (e.g., environmental, lifestyle-related variables) are more controllable (modifiable). So i don't think hair dye can increase those chances. -i'm not liable for anything

I can see where she is coming form on that. Hair dye is filled with all kinds of chemicals. Try something like henna or other plant based products. If you have gray/white hair you may have a hard time with henna, but there are henna products for that kind of hair(light mountain makes one). A sage and rosemary wash may help with that.

I think that your mom is right. What you describe sounds kind of silly. Why not just get a nice haircut (layers is a good idea) and put in some golden highlights. Go for a natural look, because something so extreme may turn heads, but not in a good way. Good luck.

• she is right,Dyes which you get may contain chemicals which are very harmful to the health in the long run.So why dont you try to dye your hair naturally.

1.If you want to dye your hair black you can try the combination of henna powder and indigo leaves powder.henna produces orange tinge and indigo leaves powder leaves blue,so the combination of these will result in black color.

2.If you want to dye your hair in just orange shade you can apply only henna paste

3.if you want to dye your hair in red shade you can go for the combination of henna+beetroot+small amount of indigo

4.if you want to dye your hair in choclate shade you can go for the same combination as mentioned above but little more indigo leaves owder is required that is equal quantities of henna and indigo leaves powder and beetroot juice.

So i think you came to know that you can dye your hair naturally with out harmful chemicals.so even your mom will not say no to dye your hair.

Anyway you have to take care that you should use pure henna and indigo leaves powder.All the best

Well, dying your hair has chemicals. It can really affect leukemia. Try herbal hair dye. I don't know if you have it.

• CB

Is it because of the chemicals in the dye? If it is ask her if you can use henna or vegetable based dyes. You'd have to dye your hair more often, but it's plant based.

You can start by refering her to this:

http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/hairdyeadacl....

Results suggest that while older formulations (in particular of dark, permanent dyes from 1970) may have increased risk of adult acute leukemia, newer formulations do not appear to increase risk.

lol annoy her..she'll get sick of it then maybe she'll let you. and i swear dying your hair doesn't cause leukemia.. maybe you should research that and explain it to her. or ask ur doctor or something if it really does cause that, if the doctor says no then maybe your mom'll listen to the doctor.

ur moms weird

i hate parents like that

i wuld just do it anway like at a friends house

after its done she cant do anything sooo