If you were the president of the United States, what will you do to fix the economy?

Favorite Answer

I would enact the FairTax, H.R. 25, repeal the 16th and bring $12 trillion in offshore accounts home. It would take the power to diddle with the tax code away from politicians and lobbyists.

The FairTax Plan is a comprehensive proposal that replaces all federal income and payroll taxes with an integrated approach including a progressive national retail sales tax on new items only, a rebate to ensure no American pays federal taxes on spending up to the poverty level, dollar-for-dollar federal revenue replacement, and, through companion legislation, repeal of the 16th Amendment. This nonpartisan legislation (HR 25/S 1025) abolishes all federal personal, gift, estate, capital gains, alternative minimum, Social Security, Medicare, self-employment, and corporate taxes and replaces them with one simple, visible, federal retail sales tax – collected by existing state sales tax authorities. The FairTax taxes us only on what we choose to spend, not on what we earn. It does not raise any more or less revenue; it is designed to be revenue neutral. The FairTax is a fair, efficient, transparent, and intelligent solution to the frustration and inequity of our current tax system. More details can be found at http://www.fairtax.org

The income tax equation is income- taxes-compliance dollars = spending

The Fair Tax equation is income = spending + taxes+ compliance dollars, so here we are taxed as we spend and keep the compliance costs

Issue an executive order reducing the work week from 5 to 4 days. This will result in at least a 20% savings in energy costs.

Put a stop to the ridiculous 10 billion dollar per week expenditure on the bogus war on terror, and invest in new energy technologies.

Levy harsh fines on any company or individual that employs illegal aliens. Any contracts that these companies might have with the US government will be cancelled post haste.

All aliens, proven to have entered the country illegally, and/or remained in the country illegally, would be deported post haste, any of their children born in the US during their unlawful stay would have the natural born citizenship revoked. All of the families assets would be confiscated, and the entire family would be deported, post haste.

Well I certainly wouldn't blow 819 Billion of the tax payers money.

I'm impressed that he actually capped exec salaries...but for what if he's going to line their pockets with my tax dollars anyway?

I'd eliminate income tax and impose an flat consumer tax that way drug dealers, whores and theives can pay their fair share of taxes just like us.

I'd change the requirements for welfare, and cancel benefits for people who didn't submit to a drug test.

I'd tax the living shiiit out of foreign companies doing business here and encourage American to manufacture their goods HERE.

I would evict illegal aliens if they didn't have the proper documentation to be here.

I'd bring our military home and put them shoulder to shoulder bordering our great country and just let all the other crazy countries just kill each other off.

I'd focus our charitable funding on OUR poor, and OUR dying and OUR sick and homeless....screw the rest of the world.

It's time to get back to getting tough and start taking care of AMERICA...let everyone else take care of themselves.

That's all I can think of for now...

• eagle

I would get the government out of the pocket of public companies. I would let the free enterprise system work. The government needs to get out of the way of business people doing business.

I would raise the minimum wage so that the people who depend on that can have a better chance of making ends meet. I would also provide affordable health care to those who don't make enough money at their minimum wage job to pay for it or if the job that they have don't provide insurance for their employees.

• Bob H

Draft the FOX5ers. This country doesn't the depression & negativity from those draft dodgers every nite. Peddle optimism, it spreads. We don't need much more reactionary, throwback, spin from these tools.

pretty much exactly what Obama is doing... except more so.

Invest in technology

Invest in green eenrgy

Invest in schools/education

Tax breaks for the 95% of us who arent the wealthy elite

Tax breaks for businesses who keep jobs here

Nationalize the banks who are failing, let the others alone. Then un-nationlaize them once the problems are resovled and the credit is flowing again.

Public works projects

• Power

Whatever the most intelligent people who are advising Obama say that should be done, unless Rush, Coulter & Palin have a better idea, oh & Michael Steele he is another one. I would have to listen to them (sarcasm).

cut all pork from every single bill