Atheist, where do you get your idea about God and Christianity?

Atheists, where do you get your idea about God and Christianity from?

Many of your questions and thoughts are based on ignorance. You want us (Christians) to defend your interpretation of God and religion. You use words like 'tortured for eternity' yet ignore words like 'love, mercy'.

If you want truth about God and Christianity you shouldn't take it second hand. Study to show yourself approved. Rightly dividing the word of truth. ( 2Ti 2:15) There will be false prophets and false teachers among the sheep (Mat 7:15-2Pe 2:1). You shall know them by their fruits (Mat 7:20).

Mar 4:10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable.

Mar 4:11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all [these] things are done in parables:

Mar 4:12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them.

Mar 4:13 And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

Update:

kinetochore

Eternal torture... please provide scriptural references. We can clear this matter up right now.

Update 2:

The claim that many were Christian before becoming Atheists...

Jhn 10:29 My Father, which gave [them] me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand.

Update 3:

Hell=grave, not eternal torment

1) sheol, underworld, grave, hell, pit

...a) the underworld

...b) Sheol - the OT designation for the abode of the dead

......1) place of no return

......2) without praise of God

......3) wicked sent there for punishment

......4) righteous not abandoned to it

......5) of the place of exile (fig)

......6) of extreme degradation in sin

Update 4:

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

I do not deny the lake of fire. It is the second death.

1Cr 15:55 O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where [is] thy victory?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think it quite ironic.

You state: "Many of your questions and thoughts are based on ignorance."

And they believe that YOUR questions and thoughts are based on ignorance.

After studying Christianity and the Bible, (along with the Book of Mormon, much of the Quran, and the Hadith sayings among other things) and researching much of my life the history of Christianity, I find that much of what is taught is self-contradictory, and even changed over the centuries. Heck Christianity apporved of slavery until the 1800s

Just one minor example concerning the Bible: Put EVERY verse form the Bible about the happenings on Easter morning in chronological order without a contradiction. You will find it can not be done. There are hundreds of additional of internal contradictions.

But there is worse. I could live with that kind of mistake. The thing was written by men after all. But it is the internal contradictions in theology. You espouse a God of love and mercy yet half of what is written in the Bible shows a God who is anything but loving and merciful.

I can not believe in any "truth" which contradicts itself.

For 50 years I did my best to "believe" and maintain my faith. I remained a virgin because I am gay and I believed for much of my life that gay sex was immoral. But eventually I was "enlightened". I finally discovered just what true love was about.

I eventually married my same sex partner and we have been very happy. I now rue the fact that it took me so long to come to my senses. But in the process I lost a great portion of my life to psychological and emotional problems because i was trying to believe an erroneous doctrine and ethic.

I truly believe that many "religious fundamentalists" are guilty of child abuse in teaching their children not to reason or believe in using logic and the scientific method to come to truth.

I am not saying that all 'religion" is bad. However, when the "religion" denies obvious truth it is very harmful.

I do believe in the Christian "ethic" of loving your neighbor but reject most of its so-called and man made dogma.

===============================================

Perhaps if you could actually elucidate. How about just one of these "ignorant" questions or thoughts and I could address the issue.

BUT PLEASE, many "atheists" and "agnostics" have gone through a great deal of anguish, pain, and disillusionment on their route to their beliefs. And before you continue to belittle these people so gratuitously, please note that some of these people are the most giving people you might ever meet, and some of them are even theological and Biblical experts.

PS I am not an atheist. I am an agnostic -- a very important distinction

======================================

ADD: And perhaps you might add an apology to those of us whose beliefs deserve at least as much respect as you seem to believe yours deserve.

===========================================

You quoted: "You shall know them by their fruits "(Mat 7:20).

INDEED!

Everytime that religious institutions have gained enough temporal power, including Christianity, there has been nothing but tyrrany, persecutions of 'heretics', condemnations, and intollerance of anyone espousing different beliefs.

And in many ways it continues today. 'Love and mercy' sounds good, but that is not what people get at the hands of fanatical "believers." Perhaps if all us agnostics and atheists could actually SEE some of this 'love and mercy' we might be swayed.

You are want to blame all society's ills on the 'non-believer' yet all these ills are found in ALL segments of society. We as a group are no more moral than you are but we are certainly no less moral.

You want us to get the 'truth about God and Christianity" well we do get it first hand. From people like you who show us no respect, who are ready to condemn us because we believe differently, and who call us ignorant when we disagree.

The Christian ethic would be a great one, and now if only the Christians would actually follow it. You state that we must love our neighbor as ourselves. And that sounds good to me. However, LOVE IS NOT ENOUGH! In order to love correctly one must also understand TRUTH correctly, and here is where the problem lies. Your brand of 'truth' frequently brings so much unnecessary misery, pain, and suffering. And then you state that we are all supposed to suffer. You all seem to revel in this suffering so long as it is someone else's.

Your brand of 'truth' condoned slavery for almost 1800 years.

Your brand of 'truth' told women that they must be subject to the authority of men. And even today many of your Christian churches deny women equal rights.

Your brand of 'truth' (in some cases) tells our young that to believe in science is wrong, even though every advance in human quality of life has come at the hand of science.

Your brand of 'truth' tells our gay youth that they must despise themselves, and that they can or must "change" God made them that way -- still very capable of loving and committing to someone if they would only be encouraged -- yet you make their lives a misery because of it. Most of your churches insist that modern psychology is all wrong. You refuse to even see the proof right before your eyes. The teen suicide rate among gay youth is 4 to 10 times that of non-gay youth and largely because of your brand of 'truth.'

PLEASE stop spouting Bible verses for once, and really see the truth that is right in front of you.

• gehme
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

This is just a small sample.

Matthew 10:28: "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Matthew 13:40-42: "As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 13:49-50: "So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 23:33: "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?"

Matthew 25:30: "And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 25:41: "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:"

Revelation 14:9-11: "And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night..."

Revelation 20:10: "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

Revelation 20:12-15: "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

Revelation 21:8: "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

• 5 years ago

how mind-blowingly ignorant and small-minded are you!!! women does the bible not tell a man he may beat his wife? non-chrstitans saw to it that this was not allowed minorities what does the church say about homosexuality??? the poor yea! solved that one. 2000 years in power and now theres no more poor people anywhere. Go Christians! slavery The bible allows slavery and the church owned many. Slavery was not abolished by the church, they were dragged kicking and screaming from slavery like other slave owners. human dignity and value and the idea that ordinary people matter Again i refer you to the treatment of homosexuals. religious freedom eh??? free to be whatever you want to be so long as it's christian. capitalism because capitalism works??? (no theft?) limited goverment limited only by the christian recognition that all power comes from God, God has given the Government power therefore the government can do what they wish science yea those ancient egyptian pyramids were all squiggly til the christians rebuilt them. if i see a copy of that book on the shelves of my local bookstore i'll stack bibles in front of it.

• 1 decade ago

I studied with the JW's and Catholics, read most of the bible and a lot of theological philosophy. But my 'ideas' about Christianity tend to come from what I see in the world, the reality of what Christians do, not what they believe. Actions speak louder than words regardless of how eloquent they may be.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • I would have to conclude that atheist get their ideas about "God" and "Christianity" from the many "God" worshipping religions and the many "Christian" religions "of this world". Wrong direction to go! Study the Scripture to show yourself approved, not the many "God" worshipping religions and "Christian" religions "of this world". Just because they say "The Bible says!" does not necessarily mean that it says it. Go strait to the source and study to see if it says it or not and do not rely on the "private interpretations" of others.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"If you want truth about God and Christianity you shouldn't take it second hand"

I come here for the comedy and fundie does it WAAYYY best !

Especially IRONY.

That was priceless.

"second hand"

I suppose you got your stuff from Paul's very lips, huh?

You crack me up.

'tortured for eternity'

How else would YOU describe the hell so many of you people love to threaten non-believers with?

A holiday camp on the shores of a clear blue sea?

I would suggest that many atheists have a better idea of what is in your bibel that y'all.

Most of us came from where you are and QUESTIONED the logic of your superstitions and came up with "there are NO invisible sky guy" as the only answer.

If I look around I see stuff happening to all and sundry regardless of thought or deed EXACTLY as if there was NO invisible sky critter.

~

• 1 decade ago

I spent 90 percent of my life so far being a Christian. Don't tell me Im ignorant. I followed every rule, went to church, read the bible. I tried like hell to believe in it but the inconsistencies are as plain as day, you just have to stop being a chicken and open your eyes.

• Blank
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I was a Christian for many years, then I saw the light.

I learned about Christianity and God the same way you probably did--going to church and reading the bible. When the church leaders told me to use the brain God gave me and think for myself, I did.

• 1 decade ago

I take it from both sides.. my parents and husband, liberal christians who accept evolution as fact, who support same sex marriage, who are against proselytizing because they think its an invasion of privacy and who think that everyone has the right to believe as they will without being harassed for it.

And then, there is my fundie brother and his wife who invite my husband and I to dinner to try to convert (he's C of E so they think he's a heretic too) by inviting the Reverend and Deacons of their church to ambush us. My brother tells me I'm going to hell every time he sees me.

So don't tell me about ignorance, maybe you should be preaching to the christians who don't seem to know this loving deity of yours.

• 1 decade ago

My family is Christian. I was raised Christian. I was a Baptist, a Congregationalist and a Mormon. I studied the Bible for five years, reading it once a year (five times). I don't need to know any more.

• 1 decade ago

Ignoring love and mercy don't change eternal torture.... or did I miss something?

I do study pretty regularly because I find religions and human psychology fascinating.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.