NR asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Is Canada a perfect democratic society?

why??

Favorite Answer

As a Canadian, I say, no, Canada does not have a perfect democratic society.

I don't know if you are Canadian or not, but just in case you aren't, I'll give you an example of how my country is NOT a true democracy:

You see, in Canada one province, Quebec, wants to separate from the rest of the country. The Quebecois have even elected a separatist party. Because a large percentage of the population of Canada lives in Quebec, a significance percentage of our government is now controlled by this separatist party.

The problem is, your are only allowed to vote for this party, the Bloc Quebecois(BQ), if you live in Quebec. The BQ isn't even on the ballot in the other 12 provinces and territories.

Therefore, a party that controls part of our federal government was elected when the majority of the country was not even allowed to democratically vote for them. Now, that is not a democracy.

To make matters worse, two of our other federal parties, The New Democratic Party (NDP) and the Liberals were going to form a coalition, pretty much merging the two parties. Together, they would hold roughly 45% of the power. Our final federal party, the Conservatives, have 45% of the power.

Now,45+45=90. So, who has the final 10%? The Bloc Quebecois, of course! This is where the real problem comes in. Let's say the Conservatives vote no on a law and the NDP and Liberals vote yes. Thats 45 and 45 and so they are tied. Now the final 10%, the BQ gets to decide what laws are passed.

Yes, a party that the majority of Canadians are NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO VOTE FOR could control our country. Now, that's not democratic.

Source(s): Being a Canadian

No.

There is nothing like a perfect democracy. Because in democracy someone always looses and therefore is unhappy with the results.

And the question is even what is perfect democracy?

Is it a popular / peoples democracy a term for socialistic regimes of East Europe. Is it American model of democracy or maybe the British / German... Non of these is perfect and none of the societies living in them are perfect neither.

Like Churchill (AFAIK) said: "Among bad system democracy is the best".

And that's just that. You could say that Switzerland has perfect democracy as every important decision is decided on referenda, but then again that's not fair when referenda is about freedoms of immigrants.

Source(s): I'm a political scientist and I tend to this stuff :D

Actually, Canada is more of a socialist society than a democratic society. When it comes to health care, Canada's health care stinks. Going to the doctor's office up there would be like waiting in the line at the DMV...HORRIBLE!! That's why so many Canadians come across the border for health care...we have a better health care system. I don't know if this answers your question, but there it is.

Source(s): www.heritage.org

I don't think anyone has a perfect democratic society.

No? Wouldn't a perfect democracy be where everyone votes on everything? Canada has a traditional elected parliament.

Does Canada let Canadians watch American satellite TV like Dish Network and DirecTV? I do not think they do.

If Canada is an open society then why do they censor their own airwaves?

the only situation the USA of a has over the different usa is length, climate and organic materials. almost another industrialized usa in the international has much less crime, much less pollutants, longer existence expectancy and decrease toddler mortality. additionally, the point of training in the U. S. is pitifully low while in comparison with different industrialized international places. for my area, i could choose to journey different international places till now creating an extremely final selection yet Canada, Italy, Denmark and Sweden could all be suitable options. If i ought to locate a place with great cycling in the summertime and snowboarding in the winter, that should be the top of it. incredibly if i ought to locate a job in yet another English conversing usa with a temperate climate, you redneck retard biblethumpers ought to kiss my **** see you later....

nope tv and radio broadcasts must have a certain percentage of canadian content ,I think if it was more open to what ever each channel wanted to broadcast the cbc would most likely fail.

cbc tv kind of sucks except hockey night in canada.

And to many parties running to lead canada.

To big of government role in areas like unemployment insurance and welfare.