. asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Where in the Qur'an do we see the word 'Shiah'?

Can you please give references?

נσч ♥

Update:

Not Afraid...

I just wanted to say, it doesn't make sense. I have studied English and Literature, and I know for an actuality that we can't address monkeys and cows by the expression 'group'. In English, we say 'troop of monkeys' or 'herd of cows'.

Thank you for answering though. Are you Sunni?

Update 2:

Shahky -

Hi. Ok, so you are saying they are no verses in the Quran which speak of Shiah Muslims? Then why did you just paste verses which are addressed to Shiah Muslims?

I don't understand.

And there are verses which speak of Shiah Muslims. Look at the first poster.

Salam to you too.

Update 3:

Oh great, why did he delete his answer?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

“Shi'a” means a group of followers and it occurs in the Quran many times in reference to the followers of the previous prophets, such as Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) and Prophet Musa (Moses).[8] Shi'a today refers to the followers of a particular school of Islamic thought, which is based on the teachings of the Prophet and his family, and sometimes it is referred to as the “school of Ahlul Bayt” (the family of the Prophet). While no schools of thought existed at the time of the Prophet Muhammad, he still used to refer to a certain group of people as the “Shi'a of Ali.”

Some narrations in which the Prophet Muhammad used the term “Shi'a of Ali” are as follows:

The parable of Ali is like a tree, in which I am the root, Ali is the branch, Hassan and Husayn are the fruits, and the Shi'a are the leaves.[9] (Ibn Hajar)

We were gathering around the Prophet when Ali ibn Abi Talib came. He said, 'Verily, my brother has come to you,' and he placed his hand on the Ka΄bah and said, 'By the One Who holds my soul in His hand, this man and his Shi'a will indeed be the successful ones on the Day of Judgment.'[10] (Narrated by Jabir ibn 'Abdillah al-Ansari)

The Prophet of Allah was with me when his daughter Lady Fatima came to greet him with her husband Ali. The Prophet of Allah raised his head and said, 'Be happy Ali; you and your Shi'a will be in Paradise.'[11] (Narrated by Um Salamah, the wife of the Prophet Muhammad)

You and your Shi'a will be in Paradise.[12]

As these narrations show, the Prophet Muhammad himself was in fact, the first person to use the term “Shi'a,” and what's more is that he always used the term in reference to Imam Ali. After the Prophet passed away those who were loyal to Imam Ali were also known as the Shi'a. During the second century Hijrah (i.e., two centuries after the migration of the Prophet Muhammad from the city of Makkah to the city of Madina—the event which marks the beginning of the Islamic calendar), the Abbasid caliphs officially patronized the four Sunni schools of thought which were popularized by the enthusiasm of some of their leaders. As for the Shi'a, after the assassination of Imam Ali, they followed the leadership of his son Hassan, and after him his brother Husayn, and the subsequent nine imams who were the descendants of Husayn. They followed them on the firm basis of evidence in the Noble Quran and the tradition of Prophet Muhammad who explicitly repeated on many occasions that he [the Prophet] would be followed by twelve imams and that they would all be from the tribe of Quraysh.[13]

Therefore, Shi'ism can be termed as the following of the Noble Quran and the tradition of Prophet Muhammad as conveyed by his family, whom he appointed (i.e., the Ahlul Bayt). After the Prophet Muhammad, the Shi'a followed the twelve divinely ordained imams as successors of the Prophet Muhammad, as will be seen in the subsequent sections.

REFERENCES:

[8] Noble Quran, 28.15

[9] Ibn Hajar, Lisan al-Mizan, Vol. 2, 354

[10] Tawzih al-Dala΄il fiTashih al-Fada΄il, 505

[11] Ibid., 507

[12] Ibn Asakir, “The History of the City of Damascus” Section: Biography of Imam Ali

[13] Sahih al-Bukhari; Sahih Muslim, Vol. 2, 191; Sahih al-Tirmidhi, Vol. 2, 45; Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Vol. 5, 106; Sunan Abu Dawud, Vol. 2, 207

• Vegeta
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

surah 115 Shia

• 1 decade ago

Shia means party/group.

That can be anything, e.g Shia of cows, Shia of monkeys.

Allah wasnt talking about the deviant Shia sect in the Quran.

• No where in Qur`aan mentions about Shi`ah of `Ali.

mostly it usage in Qur`aan have a negative meaning.

"As for those who divide their religion and break up into sects (Shiites), you have no part in them in the least: their affair is with Allaah: He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they did." (6:159)

>>>>In this verse, God warns us not to divide ourselves into Shiites and declare people who do so as people who don't belong to the prophet Muhammad (s.a.w). <<<<

"Say: "He has power to send calamities on you, from above and below, or to cover you with confusion in party strife (make you Shiites), giving you a taste of mutual vengeance - each from the other." See how We explain the Signs by various (symbols); that they may understand." (6:65)

>>>>In this verse, God warns us that he can let us become Shiites as a great punishment to us.<<<<

"Turn you in repentance to Him, and fear Him: establish regular prayers, and be not you among those who join gods with Allaah, those who splite up their religion, and become (mere) Sects (Shiites), each party rejoicing in that which is with itself!" (30:31-32)

>>>>In this verse, God associates the word Shiites with polytheist pagans who join gods with Allaah!<<<<

"Then shall We certainly drag out from every sect (Shiites) all those who were worst in obstinate rebellion against (Allaah) Most Gracious." (Qur'aan Mariam:69)

>>>>In this verse, God associates the word Shiites with those who are worst in obstinate rebellion against Him.<<<<

"Truly Pharaoh elated himself in the land and broke up its people into sections (Shiites), depressing a small group among them: their sons he slew, but he kept alive their females: for he was indeed a maker of mischief." (28:4)

>>>>As far as Pharaoh is concerned, he proclaimed himself to be god. He divided his people into groups and parties so that he will be able to rule them easily. Each group is called Shi'ah.<<<<

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Salam

وَإِنَّ مِنْ شِيعَتِهِ لَإِبْرَاهِيمَ

شِيعَتِهِ<<<<<<<<<

37:83:

"And lo! of his persuasion verily was Abraham"

(the original word used in the arabic version instead of "persuasion" is "Shia")

---

وَدَخَلَ الْمَدِينَةَ عَلَىٰ حِينِ غَفْلَةٍ مِنْ أَهْلِهَا فَوَجَدَ فِيهَا رَجُلَيْنِ يَقْتَتِلَانِ هَٰذَا مِنْ شِيعَتِهِ وَهَٰذَا مِنْ عَدُوِّهِ ۖ فَاسْتَغَاثَهُ الَّذِي مِنْ شِيعَتِهِ عَلَى الَّذِي مِنْ عَدُوِّهِ فَوَكَزَهُ مُوسَىٰ فَقَضَىٰ عَلَيْهِ ۖ قَالَ هَٰذَا مِنْ عَمَلِ الشَّيْطَانِ ۖ إِنَّهُ عَدُوٌّ مُضِلٌّ مُبِينٌ

the word Shia has been mentioned twice in this verse

28:15:

"And he went into the city at a time of unvigilance on the part of its people, so he found therein two men fighting, one being of his party..."

(again the original word in the arabic text instead of the word "party" is the word "Shia")

Abrahim (PBUH) is being called a Shia........ (the firt verse)

........and Also Moses (PBUH) has his Shia (the seconde verse)

and the word Shia has also been used in many many hadiths.......

==============

==============

The Messenger of Allah said to Ali: "Glad tiding O Ali! Verily you and your companions and your Shia (followers) will be in Paradise."

Sunni references:

Fadha'il al-Sahaba, by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v2, p655

Hilyatul Awliyaa, by Abu Nu'aym, v4, p329

Tarikh, by al-Khateeb al-Baghdadi, v12, p289

al-Awsat, by al-Tabarani

Majma' al-Zawa'id, by al-Haythami, v10, pp 21-22

al-Darqunti, who said this tradition has been transmitted via numerous authorities.

al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar Haythami , Ch. 11, section 1, p247

===============

===============

The Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HF) said: "The Shia of Ali are the real victorious in the day of resurrection/rising"

Sunni references:

al-Manaqib Ahmad, as mentioned in:

Yanabi al-Mawaddah, by al-Qundoozi al-Hanafi, p62

Tafsir al-Durr al-Manthoor, by al-Hafidh Jalaluddin al-Suyuti, who quotes the tradition as follows: "We were with the Holy Prophet when Ali came towards us. The Holy Prophet said: He and his Shia will aquire salvation on the day of judgment."

============

============

The Messenger of Allah said: "O Ali! On the Day of Judgment I shall resort to Allah and you will resort to me and your children will resort to you and the Shia will resort to them. Then you will see where they carry us. (i.e. to Paradise)"

Sunni reference: Rabi al-Abrar, by al-Zamakhshari

=============

=============

Ibn Abbas (RA) narrated: When the verse "Those who believe and do righteous deeds are the best of the creation (Quran 98:7)" was revealed, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HF) said to Ali: "They are you and your Shia." He continued: "O Ali! (On the day of Judgment) you and your Shia will come toward Allah well-pleased and well-pleasing, and your enemies will come angry with their head forced up. Ali said: "Who are my enemies?" The Prophet (PBUH&HF) replied: "He who disassociates himself from you and curses you. And glad tiding to those who reach first under the shadow of al-'Arsh on the day of resurrection." Ali asked: "Who are they, O the Messenger of Allah?" He replied: "Your Shia, O Ali, and those who love you."

Sunni references:

•al-Hafidh Jamaluddin al-Dharandi, on the authority of Ibn Abbas

•al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar, Ch. 11, section 1, pp 246-247

===============

===============

i always wanted to know where the name "ahl sunnah wal jamaat" came to existence, as it's not mentioned in the Holy Quran or any authentic hadith.......

no offence, just wondering.........

........if anyone finds out, please let me know.

Peace.

@na2sa

shame on you..........

in the Holy Quran Allah SWT points at ABRAHIM (PBUH) as a Shia..........

........and also Prophet MOSES (PBUH) has his Shia.......

i wonder how you will answer in the day of judgment........

EDIT:

LOL@ your responce to na2sa.......

......nicely said

@shahky ramadan

so can you please inform us of where the name of "ahl sunnah wal jamaat" (the name of your sect) came to existence?

this name is NOT mentioned in the Holy Quran and is not mentioned in any authentic hadith........

so if you didn't exist when Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) was alive, and if your name is not mentioned in the Holy Quran or even in hadith, how can your sect be the right sect?

Source(s): the truth speaks for itself...........
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.