Can you ask for an episiotomy?

That's an odd question, but bear with me. I don't want to tear, and I know I'm going to have a big baby. Can I ask my obstetrician to do an episiotomy if it looks as though I'm going to tear? I've heard of tearing through the labia and worse...and the thought freaks me out to no end. Apparently... show more That's an odd question, but bear with me. I don't want to tear, and I know I'm going to have a big baby. Can I ask my obstetrician to do an episiotomy if it looks as though I'm going to tear? I've heard of tearing through the labia and worse...and the thought freaks me out to no end. Apparently you can tear in any direction, that's what the nurse at the prenatal classes said right after saying that tearing is always better because it's natural.

So do you think I can ask for that? I really don't want to tear the wrong way in the wrong place...

Due in 7 days with a little girl :-)
Update: At my hospital, apparently they prefer that you tear than do an episiotomy. :( They aren't too fond of the "interventions" at my hospital.