what's up with mexico?

im booking a trip with my family and i suggested mexico but they didn't want that they were telling me about violence going on there can anyone tell me whats kind of violence ? like war ?

Favorite Answer

Rhino... do you include Mexico city in your estimates? Because if you do, you're clearly mistaken. Murders and robberies in Mexico city are chronic, but what Mexico City is notorious for is KIDNAPPINGS... and it has spread to the other states. The majority of the time they're after rich Mexicans, but anyone gets kidnapped.

Michoacan is also a state that is affected by violence.

We are going through a transition right now... trying to weed out the bad guys... and they are reacting very violently tearing up certain parts of the country.

There will be peolpe on here that will say, "Mexico is just as safe as the U.S. (LIE... downtown detroit will see me get mugged but never kidnapped) and there is others that will tell you the worst horror stories. If you go, be safe... but just know that there are many other vacation destinations than Mexico that are much much safer right now.

Go online to 60 Min's online, my mom and friend told me to watch it. They stole a baby and killed him by shooting him with acid cause they thought the police were on to them. The little kid was the child of one of the stand owners and he was not important or rich. So stature does not matter. Az is telling their college students not to go during spring break so it is affecting everyone. I am going to coahuila which is in the center not a bordering state and flying directly to the city I will be staying in with in-laws. So I don't even know how that will pan out. I am just glad I had not bought my ticket yet. Check out YouTube they may have some info as to where you are trying to go and watch their news online. Good luck

• Louie

It is a war between the drug cartels. The areas of concern are the border towns. A lot of kidnapping in Mexico city, so I would be careful there as well.

Buena Suerte!

You'll be 100 percent safe in the tourist areas.

The only real problem in Mexico are in the six states that border the US:

Baja California

Sonora

Chihuahua

Coahuila

Nuevo Leon

Tamaulipas

Outside of those states, Mexico is safer than any big city in the USA.

There will probably be more murders and robberies in Houston, Tx, this summer, than there will be in the other twenty-five states of Mexico combined.

well, i am a proud mexican, but unfortunately my country is having a bad time right now, the violence is most on the north

they are no kidnaping americans, don't be worry about that

is most about a drugcartels war, but u will be safest if u go to a normal typical vacation place

Listen to Rhino. Unless you are dealing or carrying drugs you will be fine. Crime in the resort areas is pretty much limited to petty crimes like pickpockets. You are just as safe as you are in any resort city in the US.

According to the US Consulate in Guadalajara, the violence is between drug cartels and occasionally police or other government officials. It is not aimed at tourists. And it has been greatly exaggerated.

Source(s): retired in Mexico
  • Fred S

Two rival drug gangs are having it out along the border; especially across the border from El Paso (can't remember the name). Lots of kidnapping, etc..

Their just stricken buy the media. Some people are kidnapping Americans that come over their but they arnt going to kid nap you unless you are important. The only resin they kid nap is for ransom money. So just look like an average American and nothing will happen to you.

Your family is right for being cautious about going there.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090301/ts_nm/us_usa_m...