Vi
Vi asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Do you have a favorite fish dish?

I am craving fish, share some recipes!!

now I am really hungry

Favorite Answer

Sea Food Gumbo:

SEAFOOD LOVER'S GUMBO

Once-a-year expensive but freezes well and makes enough for later. Moderately Low Sodium

You will need a very large heavy pot (at least 2 gallon) for this recipe!!

Quantities and kinds of seafood can be amended to account for taste, availability and pocketbook without damaging the recipe.

SEAFOOD:

1 lb. fresh white fish, cut into 1 inch chunks (any firm white fish will do)

2 lbs. fresh shrimp, heads & shells removed & used for fish stock)

2 lbs. fresh lump crabmeat with shell fagments removed

2 pts. fresh oysters

1 lg. can (approx. 2 cups) baby clams, strained (use juice for fish stock)

8 c. basic fish or seafood stock

VEGGIES:

2 c. onion, chopped

2 lg. cloves garlic, minced

2 c. fresh celery, chopped

2 c. fresh sweet bell pepper, chopped

2 c. sliced fresh okra

1 lg. can (approx. 1 lb.) canned whole tomatoes, crushed & drained

2 c. tomato sauce

6 c. white rice, cooked

1 c. butter

SPICES:

4 tsp. gumbo file powder

2 tsp. ground red (cayenne) pepper

2 tsp. white pepper

2 tsp. ground black pepper

2 tsp. sweet paprika

1 tsp. dried thyme leave

1 tsp. dried oregano leaves

1 bay leaf, crushed

2 tsp. Tabasco sauce

BASIC FISH OR SEAFOOD STOCK: this is best prepared ahead of time. At my house, over the year, whenever we have seafood or fish, fish bones, and shells from crabs, shrimp, and occasionally lobster are boiled for stock and frozen. When making the stock, always boil the discards for 12 to 36 hours, depending on your schedule, etc. then remove and strain the broth to remove the solids. Return the liquid to the pot and boil to reduce until very concentrated. The volume will be determined by the amount of time you have to devote to the task, but I always try to reduce it to about 1/4 the original volume. The resulting stock has concentrated flavor and can be reconstituted with water to meet the need. Freezes well.

GUMBO: Combine the seasonings in a small bowl and set aside. In the large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Cook these until they start to get soft, stirring constantly. Increase the heat to high and stir in the seasoning mix and okra. Cook 6 minutes stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium and add the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Continue cooking for 5 minutes stirring constantly. During this time, the mixture will want to stick to the bottom of the pan. Continually scrape the pan bottom with a spoon. The scrapings will add to the flavor of the gumbo as well as decrease the file powder's ability to thicken. Add the stock and bring the gumbo to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. When the time is up, add the seafood and cover the pot. Allow to sit covered for about 10 minutes before serving. Serve over the rice. Serves 12.

I love fish, while I was down in the Caribbean I learned to make salt-fish and bake. That is now by far my favorite fish dish.

I'm just posting the link, hope you opt for a bit of the exotic.

You may not be able to find salt fish in your area, I can't. I use Talapia instead. You could use other fish too.

I should tell you the recipe is not the same when you do not use saltfish but it is still quite good.

You'll love the bakes. well worth the time.

Broiled red snapper, marinate in rice wine vinegar, then brushed with olive oil topped with dill weed and lemon juice.

But first thinly slice up a fennel bulb, then chop up some shallots, salt pepper, a squeeze of lemon and bake in a covered dish for 35-45 minutes until the veggies are translucent and tender. Serve the fish over the fennel and shallots. YUM

Definitely. I love fish tacos. Here is one recipe, but there are millions on the internet.

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup sour cream

* 1/2 cup mayonnaise

* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (use parsley if you don't like cilantro)

* 1 (1.25 ounce) package Taco Seasoning Mix, divided

* 1 pound cod or other white fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces

* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

* 2 tablespoons lemon juice

* 1 package (12) Taco Shells, warmed

*

* Toppings: shredded cabbage, chopped tomato, lime juice, taco sauce or salsa

DIRECTIONS

1. COMBINE sour cream, mayonnaise, cilantro and 2 tablespoons seasoning mix in small bowl.

2. COMBINE cod, vegetable oil, lemon juice and remaining seasoning mix in medium bowl; pour into large skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork.

3. FILL taco shells with fish mixture. Top with cabbage, tomato and sour cream mixture, lime juice and taco sauce.

Source(s): I don't remember. I think it may have been allrecipes.com, but only because I use that site often. I have used both cod and tilapia for this. Both are good, although I prefer the cod.

New England Boiled Lobster with corn on the cob

Scallops cooked in white wine with mushrooms served with rice

Applebee's has a wonderful Parmesan Tilapia over Rice Pilaf w/ seasonal veggies. Mmm..absolutely delicious!!! You should try it!!

All I know is lately I've been really enjoying New England clam chowder soup. But outside of that, I do enjoy good seafood.

• LK

Ew. Fish is nasty. Unless they are as pets. You know it's weird how a lot of people eat fish and others keep them as pets. It's like eating dog or cat. You know? It's weird to think about.