metal cannot even scratch a diamond....right?

cubic zerconia has a very high hardness aswell(though still not as hard as a diamond). Would it be difficult to scratch CZ? Is there anyway to tell right here and now if this is a diamond without the use of ultraviolet lights and such?

Favorite Answer

Actually, most diamonds acquire scratches over time with normal wear and tear. All the people who say diamonds can't be scratched by anything are thinking about diamonds being cut--it takes a diamond to cut a diamond. Please don't play around with scratching the stone. It will not prove anything.

While the best answer comes from a trusted gemologist, here are some "at-home" tests you can try. I got them from an article "How Can You Spot a Fake Diamond" (link below).

--Did any literature come with the diamond? If so, look for the phrase “synthetic diamond.” While sometimes this phrase is mistakenly used for man-made diamonds, it usually indicates an inferior material is being substituted.

--Look for scratches. While real diamonds acquire scratches, chips, dents, and the like over time, other materials show the wear and tear much faster. If you see visible scars, be on alert. And if you, a non-gemologist, can see visible scars on a natural diamond, expect the diamond to be priced much lower than Rapaport value.

--Place the loose diamond over newsprint and attempt to read through the diamond. If you can read through the diamond, it is either a fake or a poor cut (“low cut”).

--Breathe on the diamond just as you would to fog a window. If the fog remains more than two seconds, it’s likely a fake. Repeat the fog test on the bottom of the diamond; some fakes are crafted with a diamond surface and synthetic underside.

--Place the stone under ultraviolet light, and watch for blue fluorescence. Medium to strong blue indicates a real diamond. If there is no blue fluorescence, either the diamond is of excellent quality or it is a fake.

--Look inside the setting for any stamps. “CZ” indicates the stone is cubic zirconia. A stamp such as “10 K,” “14K,” “18K,” “585,” “750,” “900,” “950,” “PT,” and “Plat” describe a setting’s gold or platinum status. High-quality diamonds will be set in high-quality settings, not something gold plated or made of an inferior metal. Of course, a dishonest jeweler could set a fake stone in a high-quality setting—or could even stamp the setting to make it appear of higher quality than it really is.

--Look with magnification at the stone. Facets should be joined with sharp lines, not rolls. The girdle should have facets; it should not be waxy or slick. Most diamonds have natural internal flaws; most fakes do not.

--Moissanite, a popular diamond substitute, sparkles greatly in outdoor light but appears dull with incandescent lighting.

--To keep costs low, fake gems are often machine cut, rather than hand crafted. Machine cut moissanite will not display the “hearts and arrows” seen in hand-cut, natural diamonds.

--A jeweler may offer to prove a diamond is real by using his diamond tester. Be cautious, as moissanite will frequently fool a diamond tester—and a smart jeweler knows this.

--When a cubic zirconia stone is submerged in water, the gemstone virtually disappears; a natural diamond is easily visible. The water enhances the two stones’ differences in light refraction.

--Weigh the stone on a scale you trust. Cubic zirconia weighs approximately 55% more than diamond.

Some of these are easier to try than others, but since you didn't mention whether the stone is in a setting or loose, I figured it better to include all of these. As for the ultraviolet light test--if there's a party supply store nearby, they might have a blacklight (aka ultraviolet light) on display; one of the stores in our mall does, so that test was easier for me than I thought it would be.

I hope these help.

Source(s): The article I mentioned: http://guide.diamondpriceguru.com/diamond-and-ring...

Diamond Sandpaper

Cubic Zirconia can be scratched by emery cloth sandpaper the type that has silicone carbonide in the sand paper part. Normal sandpaper will not scratch Cubic Zirconia.

Some great tips on how to tell if a diamond is real or not are available online, everything from trying to use it as a magnifying glass to blowing on it are included in the tips: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-you-tell-if-a-diam...

Good luck. I hope you solve the mystery as to whether or not it is a fake.

Perhaps so, but they can be chipped. I found out the hard way and ruined a 1.25 carat family heirloom.

This happened when I was working at a television station some years ago. I was rewinding a reel of tape at high speed, and the spinning metal reel must have just caught the edge of my engagement ring. It took a nice chip out. I was heartbroken, and my husband was furious. The diamond had belonged to his mother.

Nothing but another diamond can scratch a diamond

a diamond is the hardest rock, even against metal

Yep

Yes.

correct

yeh.