Raccoon infestation! how do i get rid of them?

i live in an apartment in fl and our trash service picks up our trash from outside our door. the last 2 weeks raccoons come and completely drag mine and my neighbors trashcans behind the building and tear them apart. i am now being fined (a ridiculously large amount of money) because of the trash that was strewn... show more i live in an apartment in fl and our trash service picks up our trash from outside our door. the last 2 weeks raccoons come and completely drag mine and my neighbors trashcans behind the building and tear them apart. i am now being fined (a ridiculously large amount of money) because of the trash that was strewn about a few nights ago. until now i just put up with it but now that i am being fined because of raccoons; i want justice. i want each and every one of those rabies infested rodent's lives. i wont be happy until i can smell the rotting carcasses in the woods behind my building.

so my question is: what is a good poison to knock these suckers out? i was told rat poison isn't strong enough, but it may keep them away from my trash.

ps: please spare me of your bleeding heart, liberalistic, peta, crap. if i wasnt a college student and owned a house that was being ransacked nightly, i would have fed them buck shot already. thats a mess i wouldnt mind cleaning up.