Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Does metal help deppression?

ok so i am deppresed and metal music helps me alot, it makes me feel alive. And when i don't listen to it i'm depressed. Is this normal and also my dad says i can't listen to it anymore because it's a bad influence. But 9 months ago i tried to kill myself but a friend introduced me to metal. What can i do?

Favorite Answer

Just tell your dad how oppresive his behaviour is, bad influence? Metal is just awesome, sounds awesome, feels awesome, I have never been influenced by metal to go and kill or steal or do anything bad for that matter. Your dad may bring in his authority though if maintain a level head and just put your point across and then just leave saying your disappointed he will probably feel bad and sway further to your point.

Music is a very strong way to manipulate emotions, for instance in a sad film when the kind old man has died there will be tranquil, slow maybe piano music and it makes you feel sad. Or during a comedy, a quick cheery song would help you smile, perfectly normal for metal to pick you up, same as it does for me :)

i think that metal is not what is helping you out really..could it be the lyrics that make you feel alive i know some metal and it is all about the hardcore attitudes. maybe that is what draws you to the metal and makes you feel alive they are singing what you really feel so you can express yourself when its on and then when it is off you dont have an outlet for your emotions...try writing your own lyrics and go online and download your own beats and become a rocker yourself!...greatness can come from tragedy...

What else is there? Download about 20 gigs of the fastest, most intense metal out there.

I understand what you mean though because it seems music (mainly metal also) seems to be one of the few things that pacifies me.

sometimes screamo and metal cheer me up, sometimes they make it worse. But i listen anyways. Maybe try expanding you're musical horizons to include some other genres that will make you'r father rest easier, besides you might find they help too.

i recommend checking out the electronica/indie band called Digitalism. :)

Tell your dad why you like metal and that it doesn't influence you, and maybe add a promise to it that you won't become a junkie lol.

everybody has something that helps them feel better.

explain this to your dad and tell him that metal is what makes you feel better.

listen to it anyway =) lol

ive been really depressed alot, and i have to say music helps, alot

you could talk to your dad about it [beg, plead, w/e]

but, if your dad still isnt gonna let you, i would say listen to it secretly

Well, put your hand on your chest and let me know what you feel. Talk with your dad. Peace. :)

i don't understand why your father do this. but if this music make you happy why not try it