My CPU on my computer won't turn on. What can do I do?

My computer was working fine last night. I shut the computer down before going to bed, and then when I woke up this morning, I tried to turn the computer on, but nothing happened. However, the monitor works fine, and the other parts and the only thing that's not working is the CPU. I'm renting to buy this computer so I don't own it yet. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

It doesn't turn on at all.

Favorite Answer

Without knowing exactly what the problem is. I'd say it was your power supply.

It's probably not the CPU. It can also be the hard drive. It may have possibly failed. When you turn the computer on does it take you through the loading process and do nothing? If so then it's more than likely the hdd. If It does you may want to run the bios and run a hard drive test. That should tell you what the problem is.

Source(s): I'm very computer literate and
  • dik b

Check to see that the CPU fan is working, i.e. a slight twist to it when you first turn it on. Many boards will shut down if the CPU fan is DOA. If it is, simply buy another fan to replace it. Check to see if the fan plug is loose or fell out. Yes, I have seen it happen.

If not... maybe your CPU is toast. Almost as unlikely is your board dying. If it is, you are out of luck.

Good luck.

Make sure the power cord is firmly plugged into the back of the computer. Also plug something else into the same socket that the pc cord was plugged into to make sure there is power there. If you know how, remove all the circuit board from the expansion slots in case one of them is bad.