Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

When did Natives get human rights in America?

I've seen that video where the person says that there have been over 40,000,000 abortions in America, then asked the question to McCain and Obama: " when do babies get human rights"?

I'm not Canadian, what makes you so sure of that?

You must be guilty or something for not answering the question.

Why do people avoid the truth about Natives?

I ask questions about America because it's supposed to be " the land of the free". Ironically, history is showing me contradictory evidence, and I'm still searching for the truth.

• Favorite Answer

some could argue we still haven't. i know fr a fact in usa we have no civil rights despite the indian civil rights act. i know because of a case i am close to where every single point of the ICRA was admittedly broaken yet the court could NOT do anything about it because there is no law in place to cover those who break them. the result? we have no civil rights as indigenous peoples

In holding as we do, we are not unmindful of the following warning of Alexander Hamilton quoted in United States v. Brown, 381 U.S. 437, 444:

"If [a] legislature can disfranchise any number of citizens at pleasure by general descriptions, it may soon confine all the votes to a small number of partisans, and establish an aristocracy or an oligarchy; if it may banish at discretion all those whom particular circumstances render obnoxious, without hearing or trial, no man can be safe, nor know when he may be the innocent victim of a prevailing faction.The name of liberty applied to such a government, would be a mockery of common sense."

If this danger exists in cases such as the instant one, and the presence of twenty or thirty Indian women engaged in prayer in the courtroom and adjoining hallway when this appeal was argued is some indication of its possible existence, Congress should consider giving this Court power to act.

The judgment of the District Court is hereby AFFIRMED.

http://www.degiyagoh.net/shenandoah_v_halbritter.h...

I think it was 1982 at the Inn of the Mountain Gods in Reodoso NM.

Reagan rambled on without a teleprompter or script and the result was NA's are Sovereign and have rights and casinos.

This was a historic moment. Purely accidental; but historic.

EDIT:

Hey Nom Nom:

I disagree with your turgid allegories. Lets be realistic it isn't every treaty but many. And History would argue over the reasons.

As For Genocide. The only Genocide was by the Iroquois Nation against tribal groups that resisted joining the Federation. And the eradication of the mound building cultures Illinois and Eastern Shoshone. And that Was Blackhawk and his Sioux Nation that destroyed the Mound-builders.

California had the most aggressive anti NA policies. But harsh as they were it did not reach the Genocide level.

I like the truth better than assumed extremes. Native Americans became the Enemy during the Revolutionary War when the Iroquois joined the British trading Furs for guns, launching attacks from Canada against the Continental Army.

It could have just as easily gone the other way if Colonial era Military Industrialist had offered the Iroquois a better deal. Imagine the difference if the NA's were our allies fighting the British Ya'know like the Moroccans and Sikhs.

I'm not sure Native Americans have been given human rights yet. For those of you too dense to understand the analogy, we as U.S. citizens value an unborn life more than the lives & culture of entire nations of people. Not only did we kill them but we destroyed their very culture, something possibly worse than death itself for a noble People, true Humans.

So nom nom gets a thumbs down for speaking the truth?

You don't consider the slaughtering of the buffalo as a tactic to destroy the NA? Trail of Tears? We put a man on our twenty who would have enjoyed killing them all. Moving entire groups under stressful conditions, not allowing them to sustain themselves & putting them in the most desolate regions again & again. But it's not genocide.

The person who pretended to be worried about babies rights was a joke! I wonder if it was her ancestors who gave the Native American Indians blankets contaminated with smallpox!

The Native Americans basically never got human rights. The settlers screwed them big time with the genocide and forced assimilation and all. Anyways, no one should have to receive human rights, they are inalienable rights one has since birth.

Frankly, I don't think they ever did. None of the treaties were ever honored, and no acknowledgement of the genocide was ever voiced.

Native Americans have indisputably gotten a raw deal. Disgraceful.

they still haven't.