Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

is god real? i dont no?

?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Every time I've come across written communication, whether it's a painting on a cave wall or a novel from Amazon.com or the words "I love you" inscribed in the sand on the beach, there has always been someone who did the writing. Even if I can't see the couple who wrote "I love you," you don't assume that the words randomly appeared by chance of the the movement of the waves. Someone of intelligence made that written communication. And what is encoded on the DNA inside every cell of every living creature is purely and simply written information. I'm not saying this because I'm a writer; scientist will tell you this. We use a twenty-six-letter chemical alphabet, whose letters combine in various sequences to form all the instructions needed to guide the functioning of the cell. Each cell in the human body contains more information than in all thirty volumes of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. For me, that's reason enough to believe this isn't the random product of unguided nature, but it's the unmistakable sign of an Intelligent Designer. In 2004, the atheist world was shocked when famed British atheist Antony Flew suddenly announced that he believed in the existence of God. For decades he had heralded the cause of atheism. It was the incredible complexity of DNA that opened his eyes: In a recent interview, Flew stated, "It now seems to me that the findings of more that fifty years of DNA research have provided the materials for a new and enormously powerful argument to design."

Maybe you've heard Christians denying the evidence for the Big Bang theory because they believe it contradicts the Bible's revelation that God created the world. But well-meaning, Bible-believeing Christians have different views on the issue. For example, William Lane Craig believes that the Big Bang is one of the most plausible arguments for God's existence. Adds astrophysicist C.J. Isham: "Perhaps the best argument... that the Big Bang supports theism [belief in God] is the obvious unease with which it is greeted by some atheist physicists." Agnostic astronomer Robert Jastrow admitted that, although details may differ, "the essential element in the astronomical and biblical accounts of Genesis is the same; the chain of events leading to man commenced suddenly and sharply, at a definite moment in time, in a flash of light and energy." You may have seen the bumper sticker that reads, "The Big Bang Theory: God spoke, and Bang! It happened." It's a little simplistic, but maybe it's not so far off.

Nearly every scientist agrees that the universe had a beginning. The most widely accepted explanation is the Big Bang theory or some variation of it. The question is: What made the bang? If you hear a noise you look for the cause for a little bang, then doesn't it also make sense that there would be a cause for the big bang? Stephen Hawking states, "Almost everyone now believes that the universe, and time itself, had a beginning at the Big Bang." The philosopher Kai Nelson says, "Suppose you suddenly hear a loud bang... and you ask me, 'What made that bang?' and I reply, 'Nothing, it just happened.' You would not accept that."

There is something about nature that is much more striking and inexplicable than its design. All scientific, inductive reasoning is based on the assumption of the regularity, the laws, of nature, that water will boil tomorrow under the identical conditions of today. The method of induction requires generalizing from observed cases of the same kind. Without inductive reasoning we couldn't learn from experiences, we couldn't use language, we couldn't rely on our memories. Most people find that normal and untroubling. But not philosophers! David and Bertrand Russel, as good secular men, were troubled by the fact that we haven't got the slightest idea of why nature-regularity is happening now, and moreover we haven't the slightest rational justification for assuming it will continue tomorrow. If someone would say, "Well the future has always been like the past," Hume and Russell reply that you are assuming the very thing you are trying to establish. To put it another way, science cannot prove the continued regularity of nature, it can only take it by faith. There have been many scholars in that last decades who argued that modern science arose in its most sustained form out of Christian civilization because of its belief in a all-powerful, personal God who created and sustains an orderly universe. As a proof for the existence of God, the regularity of nature is escapable. I can always say, "We don't know why things are as they are." As a clue for God, however, it is helpful. I can surely say, "We don't know why nature is regular, it just is. That doesn't prove God." If I don't believe in God, not only is this profoundly inexplicable, but I have no basis for believing that nature will go on regularly, but I continue to use inductive reasoning and language. Of course this clue actually doesn't prove God. It is rationally avoidable. However, the cumulative effect is, I think, provocative and potent. The theory that there is a God who made the world accounts for the evidence we see better than the theory that there is no God.

Source(s): Arthur C. Danto, the art critic at "The Nation," once described a work of art that gave him a sense of "obscure but inescapable meaning." In other words, while great art doesn't not "hit you over the head" with a simple message, it always gives you a sense that life is not a "tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." It fills you with hope and gives you the strength to carry on, though you cannot define what it is that moves you. Leonard Bernstein once rhapsodized about the effect of Beethoven on him: "Beethoven... turned out the pieces of breath-taking rightness. Rightness, that's the word! Word you get the feeling that whatever note succeeds the last is the only possible note that can rightly happen at that instant, in that context, then chances are you're listening to Beethoven. Melodies,fugues, rhythms. Leave them to the Tchaikovskys and Hindemiths and Ravels. Our boy has the real goods, the stuff from Heaven, the power to make you feel at the finish: Something is right in the world. There is something that checks throughput, that follows its own law consistently: Something we can trust, that will never let us down." If there is no God, and everything in this world is the product of, as Bertrand Russell famously put it, an accidental collocation of atoms, then there is no actual purpose of accidental natural forces, then what we call beauty is nothing but a neurological hardwired response to particular data. You only find certain scenery to be beautiful because you had ancestors who knew you would find food there and they survive because of that neurological feature and now we have too. In analogy, though music feels significant, that significance is an illusion. Love too must be seen in this light. If we are the result of blind natural forces, then what we call love is simply a biochemical response, inherited from ancestors who survived because this trait helped them survive. Berstein and Danto are testifying to the fact that even though we as secular people that beauty and love are just biochemical responses, in the presence of great art and beauty we inescapably feel there is truth and justice that will never let us down, and love means everything. Notice that Bernstein, though by no means an orthodox religious person, can't refrain from even using the term Heaven when talking about Beethoven. We may therefore, be secular materialist who believe truth and justice, good and evil, are complete illusions. But in the presence of art or even great natural beauty, out hearts tell us another story. Another prominent artist who is apparently telling us the same thing is John Updike. In his short story "Pigeon Feathers" a young teenager says to his mother, "Don't you see, if when we die there's nothing, all your sun and fields and what are all, ah, horror? It's just an ocean of horror." Later, in the presence of the beauty of pigeons feathers, of their texture and color, he is overwhelmed by a certainty that there is a God behind the world who will allow him to live for eternity. Updike seems to be saying that regardless of the beliefs of our mind the random meaninglessness of life, before the face of beauty we know better. "So what?" Someone might object. "Just because we feel something it true doesn't make it so!" Are we, however, only talking about feelings here? What is evoked in these experiences is, more accurately, appetite or desire. Goethe refers to this as blessed longing. We not only feel the reality but also the absence of what we long for. St. Augustine in his "Confessions" reasoned that these unfulfillable desires are clues to the reality of God. How so? Indeed, as it was objected, just because we feel the desire for a steak dinner doesn't mean we will get it. However, while we hunger doesn't prove that the particular meal desired will be procured, doesn't the appetite for food in us mean that food exist? Isn't true that innate desires correspond to real objects that can satisfy them, such as sexual desire corresponding to sex, physical appetite corresponding to food, tiredness corresponding to sleep, and relational desires corresponding to friendship? Doesn't the unfulfillable longing by beauty qualify as an innate desire? We have a longing for joy, love, and beauty that no amount or quality of food, sex, friendship, successes can satisfy. We want something that nothing in this world can fulfill. Isn't that at least a clue that this something that we want to exist? This unfulfillable longing, then, qualifies as a deep, innate human desire, and that makes it a major clue that God is there.
  • Xplore
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

maria it's simple

if for you God is not real, than that's all there is (for you).

if it is, then God is real for you....

you cannot think with other's head. so if you really want to do something for you and find out, you can start by studying some spiritual books (they may be from different religions, as long as you understand the language of the book)..

read, study, and draw your own conclusions....there are sooo many resources, even here on the internet...

i wish you good luck in your studies and am eager to know what you find out

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

definite. Animals do have a God this is an identical one as us. they do no longer understand this by way of fact they're don't have that form of reasoning. They have faith in instinct for survival however the don't have the understanding or know-how of coming near dying. in case you do no longer understand you will die why might you're taking into consideration a god or existence after dying. they only understand to purpose to stay alive. Our pets love us by way of fact they want us to stay to tell the story. i want God to stay to tell the story! the belief-approximately it being over at dying may be a crushing theory. i does no longer understand the thank you to apply my time. If a concept in God might assist you to stay a happier and much less stress pushed existence why might you care in case you have been incorrect. I actually have a miles better concern of residing a existence crammed with situation and stress than I do of being shown incorrect on the tip. we are all incorrect approximately something daily i will handle that.

• 1 decade ago

This is a question you have to ask yourself, not other people and if you are really interested in finding the answer, try connecting with a certain religion or maybe all of them to see if anything moves within you. God has a place in his heart for everyone, no matter how long it takes them to find him.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It depends on how you define the word "God"

If by "God" you mean a magical man in the sky who creates things and plants misleading evidence to test his creations' faith, then no, he isn't real.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What is religion? A maid kept close that no eye may view her;

The price of her wedding gifts and dowry baffles the wooer.

Of all the goodly doctrine that I from the pulpit heard

My heart has never accepted so much as a single word.

Muslims are stumbling, Christians all astray

Jews wildered, Magians far on error's way.

We mortals are composed of two great schools

Enlightened knaves or else religious fools.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes he is

Christ said suffer not little children, for such is the kingdom of god.

• 1 decade ago

ofcourse! do u think a house built by her self, no, it had a creator, the same way, this world had a creator and that god.

u cant see the air but you know is there, the same way we cant see god but we know hes there!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I do think there is, but I don't think anyone in the world has as much faith in their beliefs as to atleast not question himself once in a while.

• 1 decade ago

Think about it. Every religon cannot be right, but every religion could be wrong. I wouldn't trouble myself with the distinction, and just live as well as you can, according to what you believe is moral and just.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.