Can anyone tell me about the master and slave relations during the plantation era?

im doing a seminar and i need to find out about the master slave relations during that time period in america. it would be really cool if you can suggest any books as well. anything would be helpful because i need to look at this subject from all angles. please make any suggestions if you can. thank you ( =

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago

That's a very complex question, as you know. I suggest picking up a copy of "American Slavery: 1619-1877" by Peter Kolchin, which is a good overview of the various types of slavery in various periods. There is plenty about the master-slave relationship. The ideology that was in effect in the large Southern plantations during the 19th century was paternalism, which was a faux family relationship. Masters were "protecting" slaves, who where seen to have minds like children, from the outside world. As long as masters kept slaves alive, it was seen as a kindness, compared with the "brutal" world of Africa or free capitalist society. The truth is that master-slave relations ran the gambit, so this is a difficult subject. You may also want to read Booker T. Washington's "Up From Slavery" for a first hand account of this relationship.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.