What are the three main transportation systems used for goods, people, and ideas in Alaska?

I need at least 3 methods of movement, and I don't know what are the main ones in Alaska.

Bonus: What is the main export from Alaska?

Best Answer

I'd say train, plane, and automobile. Although ships are used for tourism and the fishing industry, but it could be easily argued that they're not a prime system of transportation anymore.

Trains are the lowest cost (per mile) method of shipping goods within Alaska, but routes are limited. Passenger service does exist between Anchorage and Fairbanks, although this is relatively minor compared to truck/car traffic. Railroad routes connect Alaska with the rest of the U.S. via Canada.

Planes are used in Alaska in a way they aren't in the lower 48. Many remote villages are inaccessible by road for most of the year or don't have an overland road to them at all. Planes are used to bring supplies and people to larger local transportation hubs. Also, the capitol Juneau is only accessible via air or water, so besides tourism, the only way business traffic comes and goes is by plane.

I'm not sure what your definition of "main" export is, but I'm sure that oil and petroleum products are the highest value export. It is interesting to note that not only are Alaskan residents free from any income tax, they each receive money back from the state government each year as a share of oil profits. My sister lives there are received over $3,000 last year. Native Alaskans receive much more.

You mentioned transportation systems for ideas. This has to be the Internet. I know someone who maintains satellite systems for remote Alaskan villages. People usually think of these remote villages as rather primitive, but despite the differences compared to more mainstream culture, they do have access to the Internet in some of the most remote places there; it is crucial for communications with the outside world.

Source(s): First hand