Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Was the EU right to laugh at our beef production standards if so why?

I worked on a kill floor --- it has been a while but my job was to take the cattle off the trucks put them in pens and move them from pen to pen until they reached the "end of the line"

The EU was contemplating dropping a ban on Canadian beef imports and so they sent their inspectors to see Canadian meat production

The boss told us not to smoke on the line that day please --- the Shop Stewart agreed to enforce it in hopes the company could get the rare EU contract for Canadian beef

Those inspectors laughed their you know what off at what they called pre industrial revolution standards and remnants of the 18th century

It didn't go well -- they were not impressed by anything we did

The Chinese inspectors on the other hand seemed fairly impressed and no one bothered to ban us from smoking on the line when they showed up as meat quality inspectors from China to report back to their government

--- The got that contract --- and were told when they showed up to walk around all they liked the management will be around shortly --- The EU they bent over backwards for the Chinese were shown where the vending machine and washroom was by security

Were the EU inspectors right to laugh at us ?

Are we using an antiquated 18th century system ?

Should we be looking into EU standards instead of settling for impressing the Chinese ?

Have we significantly improved production and inspection standards in the last 10 yrs ?

Have we done anything to track the ground beef from multiple cows or is it still a mess of different cows from different herds on any given day ?

Have we done anything to address the white blue veal issues ?

bostonianinmo

On that note when I was a teen I worked at the grist Mill and was paid to winch up a 45 gallon tin of heated poultry grease over the cattle feeds ( to keep the dust down) with 2 other guys . That stuff smells to high heaven and is very sticky --- wow that was a bad job

I understand that is now illegal --- but common practice for a long time

******** Al

Yeah it is harsh --

I don't think a lot of it is fit to print -- and considering the things I am willing to print on this forum I will let you alone to imagine

I quit because I kept finding I came home angry all the time

The government inspectors were a joke -- I used to tell him that the 7/11 called and they want you back

The management only wanted to up production and did not care

The labour referred to the cows as beef in order to distance themselves from the fact these were living creatures

I am not in the least against killing cows or eating them but it doesn't have to be done the way we have been doing it

Favorite Answer

Yes don't think it's only the smoking and cleanness though that is important. If I'm not misinformed Canada just like the US also still allows 'hormonal treatments' in their beef producing. Here the Mafia is into that kind of stuff. Seriously not healthy, pure poisons. Yet they, the US and Canada try to force it on us in the name of the Holy and Glorious "free trade".

I reject the freedom to be poisoned for corporate profit

These are the things I don't like about North American beef production.

1. Feeding dead, ground up cattle to cattle. I don't know if this still occurs but it did, which is most likely the cause of mad cow disease. Those animals, are vegetarians (aren't they?), so like what is anyone doing feeding them meat?

2. Pumping cattle full of hormones to increase size and profits.

3. Treating cattle like POW's or even worse.

In the end maybe it all doesn't really matter. I'd hate to think so though.

So to answer your first question I think the EU was right to laugh at Canada's beef production standards because firstly, I don't think the EU allows hormone injections to animals raised for human consumption and secondly I'm fairly certain (fairly certain?) that the EU no longer grinds up dead animals and mixes them in with cattle feed.

Whether or not they treat their animals with hatred and bitterness at the hour of their death is unknown to me.

Yes, for the most part.

Remember the Mad Cow scare in the UK and parts of Europe in the 80s and 90s? It can lead to CJD in humans. They discovered that the source of it was the use of rendered animal proteins in the mass produced foods for ruminants. The EU (and most other beef producing countries) subsequently banned the use of animal protein in most ruminant feeds. The problem was largely wiped out by this single measure.

The US and Canada remain the only major beef producing nations that allow animal protein to be used in ruminant feeds. They set up monitoring standards for attempting to catch downed cattle but these have not been adequately enforced. We all remember the video clips of downers being lead to slaughter last year and this triggered the reestablishment of bans on American and Canadian beef products that are only now starting to be lifted by some countries.

The problem with BSE in cattle and CJD in humans is that it is spread by a protein, not a virus or bacteria. This protein cannot be adequately destroyed by cooking. In fact, you can reduce a piece of affected meat to charcoal and it will still be present. You literally have to reduce it to ash to get rid of the protein that causes BSE and CJD.

All I know is this BBQ brisket is pretty tasty! I would rather eat wild game or grass fed beef but I think our beef is safe. I dont hear of to many people dieing because of it. Maybe goats should be consumed more in the US?