JJ16 asked in Consumer ElectronicsCamcorders · 1 decade ago

Do I need an external mic for my Mini DV camcorder?

I am going to buy a Sony DCR HC52 Mini DV camcorder. It does not have a port for an external mic. I am going to be shooting some short films with my friends and I am wondering if I need an external mic. I have been looking into some mics, and they are pretty expensive. I really like this camera. It has a lot of nice features that holds me back from getting another type of Mini DV. The mic is Stereo by the way. Plus, I could always do some ADR work afterwards if I really can't hear. I used to use my Hi8 camcorder and the sound without a mic was still pretty good. Let me know. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

If the camcorder has no mic jack, how are you expecting to use it?

Personally, if the camcorder has no mic jack or manual audio control, it would not be on my short list...

But you do have another option - get an audio "field recorder' like one from Zoom, M-Audio, Edirol... and lots others...

If there isn't a hotshoe mount for the mic accessory, then there isn't a way to hook up an external mic for your Mini DV camcorder.

Source(s): Film Student