? asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 decade ago

How much of the econmoic news can we trust here in Canada?

People say things are going to turn around one moment and the next they change there story. I know things are not good but still. They give out good news and then govorments, economists, ect change there story.

Favorite Answer

The news itself is trustworthy, but the analysis is not. Financial analysts can tell you where the economy is now and where it was yesterday, but they cannot accurately predict the future. You can find analysts who take positions anywhere from financial armageddon to raging bull markets. If the analysts were so smart then we wouldn't be in this mess. At the end of the day, these guys are idiots like you and I. They're just educated idiots. That's why you don't see mutual funds run by the financial gurus doing much better than the index over the long term.

Think of it long term. In the long term, things will improve. Nobody knows if it's going to get worse, if we're already on the road to recovery, or exactly when things will turn around.

Can't trust Harper, that's for sure. Mr. "Our tax cuts saved us from impending doom, we're going to have a surplus!" As soon as the election was over switching to, "Did I say surplus? I meant deficit. The biggest ever. But tax cuts still work!"