Without using their own nuclear weapons, would Israel alone be capable of destroying Iran's nuclear program?

Sure, Israel could drop a few of their own nuclear bombs on Iran. But without using them, could Israel destroy - or at least set back for years the progress of - Iran's nuclear power/weapons program? Could Isreal do this alone?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Iran learned the lesson of Iraq and has buried its nuclear assets deep. It would take a weapon like a B61-11 to take them out. If Israel has such a nuclear weapon, they could take out Iran's nuclear program. But short of using nukes, no one, not even the USA has a conventional weapon that can take out deep underground bunkers.

You also have the distance problem. Israel if it used planes would have to refuel them to complete the mission and would also have to fly over some other nation such as Syria, Jordan, etc. I doubt those nations would be OK with that. Israel could use its Dolphin subs. It has three right now with two more due to arrive in 2010. Those have nuclear cruise missile capability and they could be used to take out at least the surface structures and shafts leading to the underground bunkers but again, without a specific weapon designed to take out deep bunkers, Israel at best could only hope to slow down Iran.

Bottom line, it is going to take nukes to stop Iran from getting nukes. Talk is not going to do it, sanctions are not going to do it.

• 1 decade ago

Israel isn't nuclear armed, and at this point neither is Iran,

Yes and they have before during the 1970's using strategic bombing, also the Israeli Intelligence Services (I don't know the official name) is very sophisticated likely capable of hampering research

• 3 years ago

regardless of in spite of if or not they use prevalent or nuclear weapons, the actual undeniable fact that Israel could be compelled to attack heavily populated areas because of the situation of Iranian nuclear centers might create a humanitarian situation, extremely given the vast anti-Israeli sentiment expressed worldwide. would desire to Israel not situation approximately such condemnation, they extremely could be ready to destroying such centers with prevalent weapons, even with the shown fact that it would not be as uncomplicated at it become in 1982 in Iraq. a lot of those centers are heavily fortified and underground, so some equivalent of bunker buster ammunition could be needed.

• 1 decade ago

Israel isn't officially a nuclear power, I thin ambiguity is their ally right now but as soon as iran is ready to go nuclear Israel will be forced to act.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

whoever say yes is a chauvenist pic of course no,iran kicked iraq *** in 80's while west supported saddam,iran s much stronger now.the r upcoming superpower and also about 30 times bigger thn israel,they would estroy israel and wipe it ov the map

• 1 decade ago

Absolutely they could. They've done it in the past. They will do it again if they feel an eminent threat. They would obviously like a little backup though if they do.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yeah and that would be the jump off of one hell of a war in the middle east id hate to see gas prices after they decide to do that

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sure they could, and their neighbors would be on them like trailer trash on Velveeta. Thank you for your question I've been waiting to use that one.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well they took out Iraq's back in the early 80's so yeah I'm sure they can

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.