Why do I rarely see Dark skinned people on LATINO Television?

I am Mexican and I Always wondered why most of the people on the Spanish television especially in novelas are light skinned. I rarely ever see dark skinned people in the novelas have a leading role and I also also see few of them. Why is this? Is there also racism within our own culture?

Best Answer

It has to do with a bit of racism and a whole lot of history. The old Spaniards segregated themselves from the darker natives and did not mix with them. The "ideal" of white skin still permeates hispanic culture.

You see this on the telenovelas, in advertising and in marketing of cosmetics, too.

There is racism within all cultures, and in every culture it seams people like lighter skinned folks better or think they are more attractive. Its the same for blacks, Mexicans, and Indians (in India not native americans that i am aware of).

I personally think the influence of "white" people around the world has caused the belief that it is better to be lighter.

I hope this changes!!!

attempt viewing objective industry as an answer. If somebody won't ensue right on exhibit exhibit, then that guy or woman should not be located on television. that's an same reason that makeup is used. T.V. human beings choose the objective industry to artwork out their actors. each and every from time to time, darker pores and epidermis is utilized with make-as much as make the actor look greater suitable useful onscreen. to 3 that's insulting and unacceptable. To others it particularly is element of the corporate. yet yet another stable question, why are there so few elderly actors on television? looks like whilst they hit 50 and above they start disappearing from the exhibit exhibit.

It's what sells. Eva Longoria, I would eat her a**hole! And she was in "white" TV. Novelas have always had a mix as well, but more on the light skin. Univision is not for equality as much as for ratings as well as Telemundo, but don't be surprised to see all types of skin. Remember "Dos Mujeres Un Camino"? You had both a hot darky and a hot lighty, Bibi Gaytan and Laura Leon. I would lick both of their a**holes!

Source(s): Liking a**holes of many, many women.

It's the same with black people in films. Whenever there is a mainstream focus, you will see a preference or favoritism toward a lighter skin tone, and more "white" features.

Source(s): History

Part of it can be racism, but also if you look carefully, most of the wealthier people look white and they have a higher chance of getting into acting than the darker skinned ones due to the fact they may be able to afford acting lessons and such.

Because just like every other race.....dark skin people are a "no-no"

Unfortunately, I wish that wasn't the case.

Source(s): Thanks white man

because even mexicans have an issue with light skinned and dark skinned people..trust me this issue comes in every race.

• That is because the entertainment industry doesn't have so much favor for dark-skinned women, which i think is a load of garbage.

because people think the more white you look the better its the same with bollywood they only have light skinned indians with light eyes and skin. we all know most latinos and indians dont even look like that lol