Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

I am wearing clothes made of mixed fibers, is that a sin?

I have a cotton/poly blend shirt, wool socks and wearing blue jeans.

I was told God forbids this for some unknown reason

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Torah does not explain the reason for shatnez, and it is categorized as a chok -- a law whose logic is not evident. The Torah has many such laws; we do not know why pork is forbidden, for example. And the prohibition of shatnez is equally strong.

Why did God make a chok in the first place? What's the purpose of a commandment whose reason we have no inkling of?

The power of a chock is as follows: If the reasons for all the mitzvot were as obvious as "don't murder" or "don't steal," then a person could go through life without developing a relationship with God. How so? Just as there are many fine, upstanding people who don't murder -- not because they believe in God, but simply because they understand that it's wrong -- we might likewise observe mitzvot simply because they "make sense."

Leaving God out of the picture would be missing the point entirely.

Leaving God out of the picture would be missing the point entirely. That would be humanism, not Judaism.

Having said all this, God still wants us to use our intellect to understand the mitzvot to the best of our ability. Thus the commentators suggest different "explanations" for shatnez.

One idea is that he mixing wool and linen upsets the environmental and/or metaphysical fabric of the universe. God created different species that work together in the symphony of creation. Our job is to respect and appreciate this diversity and help maintain this special orderliness.

The Midrash suggests that the reason stems from the story of Cain and Abel, as recorded in Genesis chapter 4. Cain brought God an offering of flax (the source of linen) and Abel brought a sheep (wool). The incident resulted in Cain killing Abel, and it was thus decreed that never again shall the two substances mix.

This is perhaps hinted to by the Torah juxtaposing the prohibition of shatnez with the imperative to "love your neighbor as yourself" (Leviticus 19:18-19). Each person must cherish his own uniqueness and not feel threatened by others. Cain did not understand that he and his brother had different tasks in life, different roles in creation.

PRACTICAL LAWS OF SHATNEZ

Shatnez is forbidden when it is worn as a normal garment -- i.e. to protect from the cold, rain and heat.

It is therefore permitted to try on a new outfit for size, even though it may contain shatnez.

The smallest amount of shatnez is forbidden, even a wool suit whose buttons are sewn with linen thread.

Even the smallest amount of shatnez is forbidden. For example, if you have a wool suit and the buttons are sewn with linen thread, it is forbidden to wear the suit until the linen thread is removed.

Someone who discovers they are wearing shatnez is required to remove the garment immediately.

It is likewise forbidden for a Jew to manufacture or sell shatnez clothing, unless he can be certain that only non-Jews will purchase it.

GETTING CLOTHES CHECKED

Clothes that list wool or linen on the label should be taken to a certified shatnez laboratory, where they will be checked under a microscope. Checking a suit usually costs around $10.

Even though only one of the two forbidden fibers is listed, the odds of finding shatnez is greatly increased. Manufacturers are not required by law to reveal every element in their clothing. Even if a garment says 100 percent wool, it may legally still contain linen threads. For example, linen neckties often have a wool lining.

Garments are usually safe from shatnez if neither linen nor wool are mentioned on the label. Though men's suits and winter coats should be checked for shatnez regardless of the listed materials.

Also be aware of clothes containing reprocessed materials or unknown fibers, frequently listed on garment tags as O.F. (other fibers).

Once the shatnez is removed, it becomes permitted to wear the garment.

In many cases, the shatnez can be easily removed because the wool and linen are not combined in the basic fabric of the garment. Once the shatnez is removed, it becomes permitted to wear the garment.

For example, shatnez is commonly found in men's suits which are made of wool or wool blends. To retain the shape of the collar area, a canvas stiffener is generally sewn into the collar, and linen is the fabric considered by the clothing industry as being the best material for this purpose. The more expensive the suit, the greater the likelihood that linen is used. If linen is found in a collar canvas, it can easily be removed and replaced with a non-linen canvas.

Years ago I had the opportunity to be in Russia. American money was so valuable there that I was able to ride a public bus for one-tenth of one cent. Everything was so cheap, so one day I went to the biggest department store in Moscow, determined to buy the most expensive item I could find. After searching through aisles of mostly-empty shelves, I came to the men's clothing department where I bought a brand new suit for the equival

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I assume you are being facetious here. The bible also says you can slay neighbouring clans and allows slavery, including selling your own daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21:1-11) . In Genesis 22:1 - 18, child sacrifice is advocated. I don't think a god who is into this sort of stuff would really give a flying f*** what kind of clothing you wore. If you really must read the Bible, avoid the OT as it is clearly irrelevant to modern times and more than likely the work of Yahway.

• 1 decade ago

Hmm. How's this? God didn't invent polyester fibres - man changed certain things to create it. So, god hadn't outlawed mixing man-made fibres with the stuff he created and you should be fine.

I think you're allowed to wear wool socks and cotton jeans - just not cotton/wool blend socks. I think.

• Laura
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Dude, Leviticus says it's an abomination!

Better watch out--if you eat shrimp now, or eat a cheeseburger, or plant two different grains in the same furrow, you're so going to Hell.

Source(s): If you can't "cherry-pick" religion, then you have to follow ALL the Levitical laws, not just the ones that make sense in modern times.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, and hopefully you didn't have any shell fish either.

GOD NEVER CHANGES! HIS PERFECTION IS THE SAME NOW AS ALWAYS! WARN YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, AND HAIRDRESSER OF MIXED FIBERS AND SHELLFISH!

Source(s): Deuteronomy 11:22 (mixed fiber clothing) Leviticus 11:10-12 (shellfish)
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, you should be stoned. This is just as bad as having teh gay.

Edit: Please look at Pastor Biker's answer. It gives details as to why everyone thinks religion is crazy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He changed his mind about that one, very consistent being he is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.