Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

Ok, let's be serious here. Who is ready for some serious change?

Whose ready for marijuana to be legalized? Let's be serious here and not take this as a joke. This isn't about whether "Aw dude, I'm gonna blaze up so much when it's legalized".

This is more than just smoking yourself to the verge of passing out.

No, this is a determinant of whether people can take care of themselves without government intervention. This is about economic implications.

I believe in individualism. I believe that people can make choices for themselves. I don't need the government to tell me what's right or what's wrong. There are certain things that are already explicitly wrong such as murder or rape.

What about the things one does to their own body? Should this be under the jurisdiction of the federal government?

As some of you may know, marijuana has already been decriminalized in several states and California is looking to legalize it to spur it's economy. If California legalizes marijuana, it can look at an extreme boost to it's economy. 2 years, boom, recession in California is done. Over. Caput. People can get back to work.

I believe that marijuana should be RElegalized for the following reasons.

- People should be able to make their own choices concerning themselves, the government should not tell people what is "good" or "bad" for them.

- In November, there has been a milestone. 20 million people have been arrested for marijuana possession since 1937. People who were in jail for minor drug offenses will be let free. More resources could be allocated to capturing real criminals. The amount of arrests have been ridiculously rising recently.

- Marijuana is a huge cash crop, actually the number one cash crop in front of corn. Many states like California, their economy will be spurred.

- The potential of paper. The Declaration of Independence was made from marijuana. Hemp. The stalk of the plant can be cut and formed into paper without bleaching or harmful chemicals. We also save more trees.

-Money from marijuana will go directly into the United States. By people who are buying marijuana, they support the Mexican drug cartels and the drug trade. They give them money. This money is in turn used to kill thousands of people in Mexico. You want to know how many Mexicans died last year from drug cartels? 5,612 people. Dead Mexicans because of the money we're giving them.

Mexico has a population of approximately 108,700,891 people. In 2008, 5,612 people, or 1 out of every 19,369 Mexicans, died in the drug war, meaning that the drug war is almost twice as deadly for Mexicans as illicit drugs are for US residents. Does this mean that a US resident’s life is nearly twice as valuable as that of a Mexican?

- Marijuana legalization could create new jobs. Growers, distributors, shippers, vendors, dispensaries, the list goes on.

- Marijuana has not caused a single death ever, while many people die from alcohol, nicotine, and pharmaceutical drug-related causes a year.

- The war on drugs has costs millions of dollars a year, millions of dollars going toward marijuana, and millions of dollars of OUR money!

Marijuana is not the gateway drug. The prohibition of marijuana is the reason why so many young people are introduced to a criminal society.

It is a fact that if marijuana was legalized usage would not rise. In fact in countries where marijuana is legal usage is around half of that in our own country.

Marijuana prohibition causes young people to have disrespect for the law. It is the cause for disrespect to the police.

Now, 872,000 americans will criminal records. They will have difficulty getting an education because of it. The saddest part of this is that like you read above, 1 out of 4 of these people are under age 18. 3 out of 4 are under ago 30.

I believe the actual prohibition of cannabis is the culprit here. If it was taxed and regulated such as alcohol, then the drug dealers would be out of a job. They don’t care who they sell to. As a matter of fact, I read where there is an estimated 1,000,000 high school student dealers in this country. Why? Kids aren’t dumb and they see that the “mark up” is in the 200-300 percent range while huge profit margins make it impossible to work at Burger King. Not to mention they also have a captive market, five days a week.

With all this being said, we have too much at stake here. The prohibition of weed far outweighs the good that can come from this. I don't care if you smoke weed. I don't care if you don't smoke or don't like people that do. This is not about that.

This is about change and how our country can stop wasting millions and start a new era of justice, liberty, freedom, anti-discrimination, and economic gain, simply by RElegalizing a plant that was available for centuries.

Chime in.

• CS
    Best Answer

I agree, but as you can see from the answers you've received, we've got a long way to go to overcome 70 + years of reefer madness propaganda. Kills brain cells, causes cancer, etc, etc. All untrue, but people have been spoon fed the lies for generations. We've come closer in recent years to getting at the truth, but as you see, not everyone believes. After all, our government couldn't possibly have been wrong all this time. Or could they???

• Laura

Sounds like you want to step forward, mistakes can be made if you go in without protection or don't allow any caution to the wind. (so to speak) In the numbers game condoms have a 17% failure rate whether failure to use them right or getting damage to leaking. So timing is better if you pick a time when that number can be lower regardless of usage. A wiser plan all the way around. No preaching on my part and today is different but the high pregnancy rate among teens tells that many don't really try to prevent or care. Otherwise the numbers of births or abortions would not be significant to notice to drive up the statistics. Use prevention but think carefully before rushing into the situation.......

Honestly, lets think about the situation, weed is great, I wont deny it, but its not legal and i dont think that should change at all.

People use over the counter drugs to get high, and over the counter is legal, people still die from OTC overdoses, and misuse.

People still die from Pot, I dont think that there are many reasons that people need it, unless its for medical reasons.

Think about it, some people are not able to make aduquete descions, such as children and people with mental diaablities. If pot is legal, then minors have INSTANT acsess to it, and minors arent mature enough to be able to make that decesion.

And if people are in jail for having pot, then they may be smuggling other drugs also, this makes them true criminals.

I think that pot should be used for paper, but under VERY carful watch, you cant just go handing out pot.

And YES pot has Killed people, sometimes direcctly, sometimes through driving accidents or murder thats not aware.

Although when one is high they can control themselves to SOME extent, Pot can hurt people and not always directly.

But I dont think pot will ever get old, when you are addicted you just take more and more till it kills you.

And dont blame pot for people disrespect for the law, like YOU said, peoploe should be able to make their own decision to do right and WRONG.

I know that I WILL get thumbs down, but the pros of legalizing pot dont over power the negative things enogh to make it ok.

I know I don't smoke weed and never will so I'm not going to spend my time reading this. People who smoke are lammme and have no lives

• This is the most ridiculous question I've seen in a while. Do you want the number of cancer patients to rise? Idiot.

Ok first of all i dont smoke weed and people who do are ruining their lives and peoples around them and hopefully they will stay away frm ppl that dont smoke cause the crap is illegal and it will stay that way!!!

Source(s): Nursing

im ready for mary jane to be leagalized!! the drug rate would go down!!

I'm good on that. I don't like when people smoke weed. I'm above the influence :D

you said marijuana 17 times :)

sure, people havent died, but it kills brain cells. we need people to keep those brain cells. picture a potential doctor who could find the cure for cancer. if he starts smoking dope, it kills his brain cells. then he decides to keep smoking and NOT find a cure for cancer. God doesnt want us destroying our bodies. keep it illegal.