Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

What is wireless Lan.?

my laptop im getting has wireless lan, what does this mean. and can i use a wepkey code for my internet connection at home

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

wireless lan =wireless local area network- wlan- is used to wirelessly connect a computer to a wireless network usiung a wireless router. this gives u connection to the internet and the world wide web and also access to the intranet- other computers on ur network

it connects using a wireless card if you dont have a wireless router in your house someone that lives near u probally has one thats unprotected and ur computer probally automatically connected to it while the computer started up

• Big Ed
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

As others have said, a wireless lan is simply a network you can connect to without wires.

That being said, having a laptop with a wireless network card doesn't give you a wireless LAN (Local Area Network). It's like a portable radio, you have to tune into a radio station for it to be of any use.

That radio station is usually called a WAP (Wireless Access Point). They have them in various places, Starbucks for example. If you want one at home, you'll need to buy a wireless router, like this one you can get at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_...

You hook up the router to your Internet connection then you can share your Internet connection with a variety of wireless devices, like your laptop.

Hope this helps

Source(s): 20 years of network experience.
  • 1 decade ago

A wireless lan is a local area network that is run on a wireless router.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wireless Local Area Network. If you have a wireless router at home hooked up to your broadband internet connection then you can sign on to your internet wirelessly instead of having to plug up a cable.

Source(s): I'm a systems engineer
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

prompt you would be waiting to upward push as much as 1500 ft on a sparkling flat piece of land or a huge room. you are able to run approximately 1000ft previously you decide on a repeater for a under pressure out cat5e LAN. So i could say the prompt LAN has a much better variety from a popular factor. yet, if there are obstructions like partitions, the under pressure out LAN could have a much better variety. ...yet in spite of the fact that, under pressure out is far quicker.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

wireless lan. is a wireless internet.

it's also known as WI - FI, it's mostly used for laptops.

this is what i know...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.