Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Buddhism: Is taking forgiveness for granted a bad attitude?

I am Buddhist, I know that the teachings is that we should forgive others when they have done something wrong. I believe that I have a mental disorder (like OCD) so sometimes I get bad thoughts that say mean things towards Buddha and each time the thoughts come into my mind, I apologize for those thoughts to Buddha. For me it's hard to control these thoughts but this is what obsessions are (Thoughts that you don't agree with or thoughts that you want to leave your brain but they won't that keep being repeated in your brain) Sometimes for reassurance, I think to myself, I will be forgiven, but is that bad attitude since I keep thinking: In the end I'll always be forgiven.

Since I kept thinking that, do you think that Buddha will be forgive me for taking forgiveness for granted? And do you think Buddha will understand that in my heart I don't agree with these bad thoughts directed to Buddha and Buddhism and they are symptoms of my mental disorder?

Thanks. I really want to communicate to Buddha by praying but these thoughts always kick in when I pray and I do not want to offend Buddha so at the moment I don't think I can handle praying :(

Favorite Answer

Me Buddhist too and I have studied Buddha a lot , then after that I formed these conclusions :

The world is ruled by Mara (the devil or death), the world is a prison where we all are imprisoned and the devil is the keeper. The devil is also the ruler of wealth , he keeps on making us get tempted to attractions of the world just as he did it to Buddha before his enlightenment. When we try to fulfill our desires & wants then the devil punishes us. Besides that , after we die , our desires do not so we tend to look back to the attractions of the world , then the devil inserts us in a new womb so that we remain in this world as a new creature with a new life (reincarnation). The purpose of life is to give us pain & sorrow.

"Since the body is created by devil and also its mind , these have to behave erratically."

Know this, that the body is the beast and mind is a slave to it. I dont know whether you have done vipassana meditation. In that we learn that body & mind are very much intertwined with emotions & sensations. We curse some one because we are in pain or sorrow due to some reason. But pain & sorrow are the ultimate truth. So you should think that the devil (or its instrument-body & mind) is making you to think bad thoughts. Take it naturally. If you are doing some kind of meditation, keep on doing, then someday these bad habits of your mind will go away. From what you have written , it appears that you are quite advanced as you are now looking at the working of mind. This is what happened to Buddha also before his enlightenment, he was also having bad thoughts , he called these -- "Anushay Kilesha" (mental sorrows).

Even after Buddha achieved enlightenment , the devil (Mara) used to visit him to taunt him. One day Buddha did not receive any bhiksha (alms food). He came back to his monastery then devil came to him as bad thought , the devil made a thought appear to him -- " You should have been a prince , a king and now you dont even get food to eat, is this your achievement from meditation". To this Buddha replied "Just like the habitants of the upper heavens, today I will survive on Preeti samadhi (hapinness of trance)" . Then he went into trance.

Buddha would most definitely forgive you. Your thought disorder is your karma. Just keep praying and you will find relief, maybe not a cure right away but eventually. Just allow the thoughts to pass and eventually they will go.

Getting even feels lots extra appropriate than forgiveness. i do no longer think of forgiveness has something to do with faith, yet some human beings merely elect to "permit issues bypass" and others do no longer. non secular or no longer. each from time to time listening to "i'm Sorry" is adequate for somebody. If i might desire to be forgiving, i could in all hazard be a lots happier man or woman. quite, i be conscious of i could be. yet i merely can not do it. My boyfriend, my mum and dad and that i be conscious of there's no god, and that they are the main forgiving human beings ever. They do it so as that they gained't be disappointed, and so the arguments quit. it is not a lie, some human beings quite do forgive human beings. For some bible thumpers available, it might merely be so as that they don't get despatched to a burning place in the direction of the earth by potential of an invisible guy in the sky. yet that's no longer continually.

I too would like some proof that you are Buddhist before tending an answer

When and were did you take refuge