Steamed onions.............?

I am going to steam cabbage for dinner tonight, I love it. No salt, pepper, butter added. I was thinking of adding onions I had to the steamer. But will onions steamed for 5 minutes or so taste okay? Or will they ruin the taste of the cabbage?

Thank.

Favorite Answer

Not at all! It will add more flavor. Over here, we love cabbage and onions. The onions give an extra flavor to it and they taste so good steamed.

It will add lots of extra flavor that will compliment the cabbage. Slice them into very thin rings to make sure that they will be steamed in the same amount of time as the cabbage.

`````````````````````````````

I put onions in with my cabbage and potatoes all the time when I make corned beef and cabbage. It will taste good.

They go well together, I like them 'just' heated, it reduces the bight of them, but still have the firmness. I would steam for about 10 minutes though over a gentle simmer.

I would still add a little salt, sprinkled on top at the table.

Are you planning to cut them up? If so, they will cook together without a problem. Taste? Great, of course.

Slice them kind of thick (about 1/4 inch) and they will be great as well as adding some great flavor.