Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

How is Taraweh not a Bidah?

Before going further, let's make some facts clear. People often confuse three different prayers. Namely:

1) Tahajjud (also called Salat al-Lail, Namaz e Shab): The time of this prayer is from mid-night till before dawn. But the best time is near before Dawn (i.e. before the time of morning prayer). TAHAJJUD is offered all arround the year.

2) Nafl (Non-Compulsory prayers): These are offered without congregation (Jama'at) Individually. The more time one spends in Nawafil, Non-Compulsory prayers, and recitation of Qur'an etc in Ramadhan nights the better. Such prayers can also be performed throughout the year.

3) Tarawih Offered in congregation (Jama'at) during Ramadhan. Usually starts after Isha prayers.

Prophet(saw) got angry with the people who insisted on him offering Tarawih prayers (in congregation)

Narrated Zaid bin Thabit:

Allah's Apostle made a small room (with a palm leaf mat). Allah's Apostle came out (of his house) and prayed in it. Some men came and joined him in his prayer. Then again the next night they came for the prayer, but Allah's Apostle delayed and did not come out to them. So they raised their voices and knocked the door with small stones (to draw his attention). He came out to them in a state of ANGER, saying, "You are still insisting (on your deed, i.e. Tarawih prayer in the mosque) that I thought that this prayer (Tarawih) might become obligatory on you. So you people, offer this prayer at your homes, for the best prayer of a person is the one which he offers at home, except the compulsory (congregational) prayer."

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 73, Number 134

Prophet Ordered to perform non compulsory prayers at home

The Prophet took a room made of date palm leaves mats in the mosque. Allah's Apostle prayed in it for a few nights till the people gathered (to pray the night prayer (Tarawih) (behind him.) Then on the 4th night the people did not hear his voice and they thought he had slept, so some of them started humming in order that he might come out. The Prophet then said, "You continued doing what I saw you doing till I was afraid that this (Tarawih prayer) might be enjoined on you, and if it were enjoined on you, you would not continue performing it. Therefore, O people! Perform your prayers at your homes, for the best prayer of a person is what is performed at his home except the compulsory congregational prayer."

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 92, Number 393

The people would pray individually at the time of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh)

Narrated 'Urwa:

That he was informed by 'Aisha, "Allah's Apostle went out in the middle of the night and prayed in the mosque and some men prayed behind him. In the morning, the people spoke about it and then a large number of them gathered and prayed behind him (on the second night). In the next morning the people again talked about it and on the third night the mosque was full with a large number of people. Allah's Apostle came out and the people prayed behind him. On the fourth night the Mosque was overwhelmed with people and could not accommodate them, but the Prophet came out (only) for the Morning Prayer. When the Morning Prayer was finished he recited Tashah-hud and (addressing the people) said, "Amma ba'du, your presence was not hidden from me but I was afraid lest the night prayer (Qiyam) should be enjoined on you and you might not be able to carry it on." So, Allah's Apostle died and the situation remained like that (i.e. people prayed individually). "

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 32, Number 229

Umar Initiated Taraweh

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever prayed at night the whole month of Ramadan out of sincere Faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven." Ibn Shihab (a sub-narrator) said, "Allah's Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of 'Umar's Caliphate." 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Abdul Qari said, "I went out in the company of 'Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, 'Umar said, 'in my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)'. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka'b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, 'Umar remarked, 'what an excellent Bid'a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.' He meant the prayer in the last part of the night(Tahajjut). (In those days) people used to pray in the early part of the night."

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 32, Number 22

Update:

What did Prophet(saw) say about his orders?

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "Leave me as I leave you) for the people who were before you were ruined because of their questions and their differences over their prophets. So, if I forbid you to do something, then keep away from it. And if I order you to do something, then do of it as much as you can."

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 92, Number 391

now my questions to Sunnis and Salafis/Wahabis

1) How is Taraweh not a Bidah?

2) Are there any hadith where Prophet Muhammad(saw) encouraged Tarawih?

Update 2:

please avoid giving me what Shayks think about Taraweh.

Update 3:

Tarawih is a bidah in the following sense

1. Rasool Allah never offered any such (20 or 8 rakah) prayers after Isha prayer. What he offered (and people joined behind him for 3 nights) was night prayer (i.e. Tahajjud prayer which is offered after midnight). So, what is known as Tarawih nowadays (i.e. 20 or 8 rakat prayer after Isha prayer), had never been a Sunnah of Rasool Allah [saww].

2. Tarawih is not in harmony with the principles of Islam. Rasool Allah [saww] gave clear

orders that NON COMPULSORY CONGREGATIONAL PRAYERS should be offered individually in the homes. But contrary to the orders of Rasool Allah [saww] Umar collected the people in mosque, and started offering non-compulsory congregational prayer in congregation.

Update 4:

How is this not an innovation when Prophet said that NON COMPULSORY CONGREGATIONAL PRAYERS should be offered individually in the homes?

whatever Prophet(saw) performed those 3 nights were Tahajjud prayer NOT TARAWEH

Update 5:

you say it was a "good Bidah" how is it a good Bidah? is it within the harmony of Islam?

And pray in the small watches of the morning: (it would be) an additional prayer (or spiritual profit) for thee: soon will thy Lord raise thee to a Station of Praise and Glory!

Al-Qur'an Surah 17, Ayah 79 (Translation by Yusuf Ali)

For the rest of Ummah, Tahajjud prayer is only Sunnat-e-Mu'akkidah, but not obligatory. And for all the Nawafil and Sunnat-e-Mu'akkidah, Rasool Allah [saww] has clearly said:

"Therefore, O people! Perform your prayers at your homes, for the best prayer of a person is what is performed at his home except the compulsory congregational prayer."

Why did Umar gather people in the mosque for Jam'at (congregation) to carry out NON COMPULSORY and NON CONGREGATIONAL Prayer? Is it not a clear violation of the orders of Rasool Allah [saww]?

Update 6:

@Shay Shay- you say taraweh is not compulsory but Shafai and Hambali Fiq'h declared the Jama'at for Taraweh is an obligatory Sunnah for all.

Update 7:

@harder better stronger and faster- Thanks for your input but I am still waiting for you to answer me why did Umar gather people in the mosque for Jam'at (congregation) to carry out NON COMPULSORY and NON CONGREGATIONAL Prayer? Is it not a clear violation of the orders of Rasool Allah(saw)?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The Hanafees say: There are twenty rak'ahs of Taraweeh to be offered daily as compulsory Sunnah in Ramadan. But Ahl-i-Hadith and Shias are never convinced with it. To the Ahl-i-Hadith, Taraweeh and Tahajjud are one and the same thing; the number of rak'ahs in each is eight. The twenty rak'ahs of Taraweeh is a schism, an innovation to the Ahl-i-Hadith. There is and has always been continuous bickering over this issue among the Hanfees and the Ahl-i-Hadith. The Hanafees confess this fact that there was no practice of offering Taraweeh before the saga of Hazrat Umar, even then they consider the renouncers of Taraweeh as the sinful and the wrongful. The question is: "What is its genuineness?"

There is no mention of Taraweeh in the Quran. These were initiated at the time of Allah's Messenger or of Hazrat Umar's. This is a question of history. The Shias and the Sunnees have disagreement over it. Everyone is aware of these discussions and controversies. On the question whether the number of rak'ahs in Taraweeh is eight or twenty, there is disagreement within the Sunnees itself. And no one is

unaware of these debates.

It appears that the Islamic system of the First Era, in order to bring the Quran to the mind of the people all at the same time, devised this method - and method is now being performed only to acquire the reward of a virtuous act (Sawaab). It is because the way the Quran

is recited now, during the Taraweeh, is neither understood by the Quran-conner who cause others to hear it as to what he had recited, nor do their disciples in the congregation comprehend it as to what they have listened. And it is obvious that the way the words of the Quran are repeated and heard without being understood cannot make the exposition of the Quran understandable. And neither can it be known

which design of life it carves for us. When the system of caliphate based on the precept of Nabuvva is established, its job will be to oversee as to where the revamping is essential in our traditional mores and cores of life. It will then be the time, whence-fore the correct concept of "Sin and Sawaab" would come to the fore-view of the masses.

• 1 decade ago

The Prophet took a room made of date palm leaves mats in the mosque. Allah's Apostle prayed in it for a few nights till the people gathered (to pray the night prayer (Tarawih) (behind him.) Then on the 4th night the people did not hear his voice and they thought he had slept, so some of them started humming in order that he might come out. The Prophet then said, "You continued doing what I saw you doing till I was afraid that this (Tarawih prayer) might be enjoined on you, and if it were enjoined on you, you would not continue performing it. Therefore, O people! Perform your prayers at your homes, for the best prayer of a person is what is performed at his home except the compulsory congregational) prayer."

http://oneummah.net/understand/tarawih_and_iftar.h...

Ibn Shihab said, "Allah's Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of Umar’s Caliphate." Abdur Rahman bin Abdul Qari said, "I went out in the company of Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, Umar said, ‘In my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)’. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka’b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, Umar remarked, ‘What an excellent Bid’a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is;

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 32, Number 227:

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"The Messenger of Allah (saas) observed Taraweeh prayer in the Masjid one night and people prayed with him. He repeated the following night and the number of participants grew. The companions congregated the third and fourth night, but the Messenger did not show up. In the morning he told them, "I saw what you did last night, but nothing prevented me from joining you except my fear that it might be made mandatory on you in Ramadan."

This hadith is a clear indication that the Taraweeh in congregation was not an innovation of 'Umar, the second Khalifah, despite his saying to the contrary. For it has been related that: "Umar bin Al-Khattab attended the Masjid at night in Ramadan and saw people praying individually in every corner of the Masjid with a few in groups. He did not like the sight a bit. 'Umar said, `I thought it would be better to gather these under one Imam'. So, he combined them under 'Obayi bin Ka'ab and Tamimu Ad-Dari to alternate and lead the believers in eleven raka'ats of night prayer. The next day `Umar was in the Masjid which was full with Taraweeh prayers. He was delighted. He said: `Well, this is the best Bid'ah (innovation).'"

`Umar's use of the word bid'ah in this report has been presented and unjustifiably cited as justification for concocting up various so called good innovations. In truth, the Khalifah 'Umar's act to gather the believers in Jama'ah is not bid'ah.

For it was the Messenger of Allah himself who started jama'ah by praying in congregation the first and second day, then stopped only as he feared it would become mandatory. After his death, the fear of Taraweeh becoming mandatory (Fard) was not only remote, it was impossible. With the death of the Prophet Muhammad (saas), there will be no more revelation to change any law or rule by abrogation.

• Bukhari

Volume 3, Book 32, Number 227:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever prayed at night the whole month of Ramadan out of sincere Faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven." Ibn Shihab (a sub-narrator) said, "Allah's Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of 'Umar's Caliphate." 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Abdul Qari said, "I went out in the company of 'Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, 'Umar said, 'In my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)'. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka'b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, 'Umar remarked, 'WHAT AN EXCELLENT BID'A (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.' He meant the prayer in the last part of the night. (In those days) people used to pray in the early part of the night."

Source(s): the truth speaks for itself..........
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • In brief terms Bid'ah is:

►An act that was introduced after the death of the Prophet, peace be upon him, with the intention for it being used as worship (meaning used as a means to seek Allaah's Pleasure), and there is no proof from the Book and the Sunnah as it was understood by Prophet, peace be upon him, and his Companions.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Many who fall into innovation, when asked about "why do you do this...?" bring forward Verses from the Qur'aan and Hadeeth, then claim "It is from the Book and the Sunnah". However, upon further investigation by a scholar of Islam, it is found that the Verse and/or Hadeeth in question is being used and understood in a manner and context that was completely foreign to how the Companions of Allaah's Messenger, peace be upon him, understood that particular Verse or Hadeeth. May Allaah grant us safety from deviation.

For the particular and detailed definition of bid'ah, with examples of what is and is not bid'ah (innovation in worship) in Islaam, I recommend the online publication/translation:

► "Innovation in Light of the Perfection of the Sunnah"

By Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen, may Allaah have mercy on him

http://www.spubs.com/sps/sp.cfm?subsecID=BDH02&art...

Description : An excellent introductory booklet on innovation. Contains some answers to common misconceptions that people have regarding 'good' innovations and related matters.

This book also answers your doubts about "Taraweeh". The Prophet, sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, did indeed lead the Companions in prayer during some of the nights of Ramadhaan. He only stopped as he feared it would become obligatory. But after the death of the Prophet, sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, revelation ceased, so there was no need to fear Taraweeh becoming obligatory. Therefore there was no problem in reviving this Sunnah.

Source(s): ► Compilation: "Bid'ah, It's History, and the Position of the Salaf-us-Saalih in dealing with Innovation and its People" http://www.spubs.com/sps/sp.cfm?secID=BDH&loadpage...
  • 1 decade ago

Taraweeh is not bidah. The prophet (SAW) did not go to taraweeh regularly however because he thought it might send a message to the people that it is compulsory, when it really isn't.

Salams.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

to curse tarawiheh is haram, your mom is bidaa' , your father is shirk

tarawiheh was ordered by Hazrat Umer RA which is good thing

anyone who is cursing tarawiheh is kafier.

astaghfiollah

• 4 years ago

I prayed it yesterday at Masjed Today I'll pray it in shaa Allah Thanks

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dont let me get started on the Infinite Shiah Bidahs.

I suggest you read this

http://www.ifol.org/e_library/Al-Khutoot_Al-A'reed...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.