What makes 'Perry Mason' such a great TV series?

It was very popular almost to the end of the series; at one point it ran in syndication on 7 channels at once. I think it was because - like Star Trek - people liked to see a group of friends (Perry, Paul, Della) work together in a dedicated and professional way. Plus Perry's detached charm; even when he openly accused you of a murder, he spoke as if calmly speaking to a friend. And, it leads back to a time when authorities - lawyers, police, businessmen - were people you could TRUST. Complex plot, but that meant it commanded your attention. And at the end, the complexities didn't matter; Perry always, at the end, hit to the emotional heart of the mystery.

I've just kind of discovered it, so just wondered - What do others think, WHY was it such a great series?

• meat
    Best Answer

Perry Mason was - and still is - a great series. It combined a likeable cast (even Hamilton Burger ... up until that whole nude drug party arrest thing) with a reasonable whodunit type of storyline that ultimately ended up with Perry Mason usually winning the day.

Ultimately, it was about good guys winning, bad guys losing, and that certain electricity in the air between Perry and Della (which was one of the great things about the earlier seasons of Moonlighting). And what guy didn't want to be Paul Drake with his Corvette or his T-Bird and that early 'car telephone' he had.

The plots, while intricate in most cases (no pun intended), weren't complex until the end of the run of the series. Then it seems like the writers just stopped trying.

If you're interested in Perry Mason, search out some of the websites that tell the behind-the-scenes stuff that went on; Della's screams when surprised, the picture in Perry's office that they just kept adding to over the entire series, the coffee cup collections, etc. It was a cast that genuinely cared about one and other, and it showed in every episode that they were one big TV family.

Source(s): I'm a screenwriter.

Have not seen that show since I was a kid. I didn't even know they re-ran it. But I think you already hit the answer, you had a group of people who worked together, they were honest and moral, and right always triumphed over wrong. This recipe has also worked for Matlock, and NCIS. Law & Order is similar, except that good does not always win in that series.

Very good show, you brought back some memories for me, thanks.

• SuziQ

This was one my favorites, it was always on in reruns for a long time, but I haven't seen it in a while.

I agree, good cast portraying real people. A team effort always solved the crime. and very often I had no idea what was coming. Poor Hamilton Burger, he never won a case but was still smirky and arrogant--easy character to 'hate'.