Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

How to switch from cruiser to sport bike?

I need some solid advice. I am wanting to switch from my street cruiser to a sport bike. I have been riding for 25+ years but always dirt and street cruisers. However as I get closer to 40 I am finding that the lazy cruise is no longer as appealing as it once was.

A little info from me; I am 6'5" and 280 pounds. So I am concerned about buying a bike that would "tire out" or become prematurely dead having to try and drag me around. After a couple of back surgeries the ride position of a cruiser is also a problem. The up/down position really becomes very painful after a short time. Where as I understand it the sport bike position, along with tank makes for a far more comfy days ride?

I was considering a few options, the Kawasaki Ninja zx14 has a lower peg position as does the Busa which I think would make it easier on my back or possibly a Suzuki GSX-R 750 or Yamaha R1.

Is the ride so strikingly different that I should be very concerned about going to big and powerful? Although I have the riding experience, I have absolutely no experience with the speeds all three of those bikes can get up to. Even though I am not ever going to take pictures or videos of myself tearing up the highways and back industrial roads in and around town I would still want the option of dropping the throttle at bike night at our local 1/4 mile track if the whim hit me.

So help me out here boys and girls, what do you think I should do and consider for a sport ride?

Favorite Answer

I switched to a sport touring bike because of back problems with the more traditional riding position. When I fill up my tank bag to kind of lay on, I can do the big mile days again. No sport bike engine is going to notice your extra lbs.

I road an R6 and R1 and at 5'10' there was just no way I could handle the cramped riding position for more than an hour or two. I sat on some other bikes but the Honda VFR was just right. Pretty low bar position but much more leg room. Not near the horses of a liter bike, but those bikes are made to be competitive at the track on weekends, in the real world there comes a point where more horses bring diminishing returns. The VFR is made to be versatile and has more than enough power for real world riding. The V4 is easy to love, and when the extra valves kick in at higher rpms it goes from Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde. I think the bike looks best when decked out for XC with the factory hard bags.

Anyhow, my advice is to test ride or at least sit on as many bikes as you can and see which one fits. For experienced riders these bikes are safer with their superior suspensions and breaking and ability to accelerate out of problems. But you do have to think about keeping the rear tire under the bike. Rain and slick roads are a bigger concern, even cold tires are a factor to keep in mind to avoid embarrassment.

If it's your first bike I'd say neither. Get a dualsport instead, if you're tall enough, so you can practice in the dirt where stuff happens slower. Plus dualsports bikes hold up better for when you drop it (it happens). If you already have a lot of dirt experience, it's strictly a personal preference. Sportbikes have taller seats, but their pegs are very close to that seat, so are very uncomfortable. Plus, the supersport bikes, even the 600s, are NOT beginner bikes any more than an F-16 is a beginner plane just because it has only one engine not two like an F-15. If you still want a sporty bike, though, and you've taken the MSF class, there are plenty on the market. Suzuki GSX650, Kawasaki Versys, er-6n, Yamaha FZ6, Ducati 796, Triumph Thruxton, etc. The cruisers are typically good for beginners because their steering is slower, not as twitchy. Also they carry their weight low, so are more stable, and there engines are easier to use by not having a very narrow, high powerband.

• Fast R

I like you went from riding Harley's to a sport bike 9 Years ago and will never go back! ( i am 53years old ) once you get the rush on a twisty road you will be hooked for life! I now ride a Suzuki S V 1000S

I did put bar risers on it and it works fine and i am able to do a 400 mile day with no problems . You might look into some of the sport touring bikes a friend has the new Kawasaki Concours 14 and it is great. Also look into some of the naked sport bikes like the Yamaha

F Z 1, ALSO EASY ON THE BACK ! Good luck with your new bike

Source(s): 38 years of riding these stupid things!

The Hayabusa and the ZX14 are some of the fastest, most ill-mannered production bikes in the world. They are leaps and bounds different than any kind of cruiser. If you are confident you can control one, then by all means give it a shot.

Personally though, I'd go with the R1. They are nice bikes, and I think the transition would be a bit easier.

• Matt M

you probably want to go with sport touring bike like the busa don't go with a R1, GSXR1000, these are pretty much as close toa racing bike that the Government allows them to produce and sale also you don't want a 750 this will feel like allot of power to you at first but then you will want more also with size the 750 will do ok but it will lack the umph of a 1000 but be careful i have GSXR 1000 and this thing is very fast for someone that has not every rode one before I have been riding since 94 and i have raced amateur class and have been to race school

ha i just changed from an R1 to a vtx 1800 cruiser just to hold on to my licence. i,ve read your dilemma and as you well know the bike is as fast as you open the throttle, all bikes 750 and above will more than suit your requirements, one of my past favourites was the kawasaki ZX9R NINJA C2 plenty of grunt good top end and quite cheap to get , however i personnally would keep the cruiser and benefit from both.

Most sport bikes have a real lean forward position that might agrivate back problems, maybe a standard bike would be better like a suzuki bandit 1250 or and SV.

i had a 95' GSXR1100W, i can promise you one thing, there was nothing whatsoever comfortable about it! but holy F*ck did it go!! left quite a few skids, both on the road as well as my pants!!! a mate of mine had a CBR 1100 XX blackbird it was way more comfy, thicker seat and overall just had a better riding position. i think the best option for you would be to have a few testrides at you local dealers!

Source(s): previously owned 1

sure the rider positions are greatly contrasting, but i have a concern. your size. you must understand, that these bikes are made for small girlie men. i think you would be rather squeezed in. perhaps a v rod? or at least a buell, bro. as i was saying, as tall as you are, i think you would be immensely uncomfortable.